Virtual Tourist ( VT) is a US-based Internet project, where you can request free tourist information from nearly anywhere in the world and can be deposited as a registered user information (texts, photographs, forum posts ). The offer is primarily to gather information about foreign countries, regions and localities, where the emphasis is placed upon individual tourism.
The project exists since 1998 and now comprises 1.6 million articles and 3 million photographs. VT has over one million members from over 220 countries and territories.
It is funded entirely by advertising.
One can, inter alia, use the following substantive offers:
- Locals members
- Tips from members ( with comments at any time)
- Maps Hotel reviews
- Restaurant reviews
- Local circumstances
- Tips far off the kicking paths
- Tourist traps
- Warnings and Dangers
- Special remarks on the packing list
- General Tips
- Travel Leisure: 35 Best Travel Sites
- Newsweek: Featured Travel Site
- Time: Recommended Travel Forum (2003)
- Best of the internet 'Travel site' (2003)
- AOL: Editor's Pick ( 2002)
- USA Today: Hot Site (2001)
- U.S. News & World Report: Best of the Web - Site Travel (2001)