Viuz -en- Sallaz is a commune in the French department of Haute- Savoie department in the Rhône-Alpes region.
Viuz -en- Sallaz is located on 665 m above sea level. M., about 21 km east-southeast of the city of Geneva (air line). The village extends Faucigny, on a sun-exposed south-west slope at the foot of the Massif des Brasses on a ridge in the landscape Sallaz, in the Savoy Alps.
The area of 20.99 km ² municipal area comprises a portion of Faucigny. The southern part of the municipality area occupied by the broad Talniederung of Sallaz between the Massif des Brasses and the Môle. This Talniederung is dewatered to Menoge by the Foron west. To the north extends the communal land in the upper portion of Foron Valley. The valley is flanked on the west by Mont de Vouan (978 m above sea level. M. ) and the subsequent chain of hills which forms the watershed to the Vallée Verte, in the east of the heights of the Massif des Brasses. On the Pointe des Brasses is 1,503 m above sea level. M. reached the highest elevation of Viuz -en- Sallaz.
To Viuz -en- Sallaz addition to the actual center includes several villages and hamlets settlements, including:
- Les Brochet (608 m above sea level. M. ) in the Talniederung
- Les Tattes (608 m above sea level. M. ) in the Talniederung
- Brégny (616 m above sea level. M. ) at the foot of Mont de Vouan
- Bois Inge (600 m above sea level. M. ) at the southern foot of Mont de Vouan and on Foron
- Bucquigny (640 m above sea level. M. ) to the southeast in the valley of Foron of Mont de Vouan
- Sevraz ( 736 m above sea level. M. ) on the southeast slope of Mont de Vouan
- Lorzier ( 789 m above sea level. M. ) in the valley of Foron
- Chauffemérande (850 m above sea level. M. ) on the eastern slope of Mont de Vouan
- Thézier ( 800 m above sea level. M. ) on the southwest slope of the Massif des Brasses
- Chez Pallud ( 827 m above sea level. M. ) in the valley of Foron
Neighboring communities of Viuz -en- Sallaz are Saint -André -de- Boëge and Bogève in the north, Saint- Jeoire, La Tour and Ville -en- Sallaz in the east, and Peillonnex Marcellaz in the south and Fillinges in the West.
The place name comes from the Latin word viculus, the diminutive form of vicus (village, homestead ). In the Middle Ages Viuz -en- Sallaz belonged to the field of rule Faucigny. As part of the Dauphiné reached the place in 1349 to France, but was delivered in a country Abtausch to the Counts of Savoy under the Treaty of Paris in 1355. After informed Viuz -en- Sallaz the fate of Savoy. In the 15th century the place got certain freedoms. In 1713, three hamlets were destroyed after a landslide triggered due to heavy rainfall.
The great village church in neo-classical style dates from the 19th century. In the old town, the center of which is a great place numerous houses from the 16th to 19th centuries have been preserved. Also worth seeing are the Château de Presset and the remains of the Château de Marcossey. The Ecomuseum is located in a building from the 16th century. In the vicinity of Viuz -en- Sallaz there are several chapels, including those of Sevraz and Chez Pallud.
With 3920 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Viuz -en- Sallaz belongs to the medium-sized towns in the Haute-Savoie region. Thanks to the beautiful residential area a significant population increase has been recorded in the last decades. Outside of the old village created numerous family house districts.
Economy and infrastructure
Viuz -en- Sallaz was until well into the 20th century a predominantly coined by farming village. Today there are various businesses of the local small and medium industry, construction and trade companies. Many working population commuters who engage in the larger towns in the area, especially in the Geneva - Annemasse, their work. In recent decades, the northern slopes of the Massif des Brasses were (partly on the ground of Viuz -en- Sallaz ) accessible by cable cars and ski lifts.
The village region has a quite well developed. It is just above the road D907 which leads from Annemasse after Taninges. Another road connection with Villard in the Vallée Verte.