Voiron is a town with 19 579 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Isère in the Rhone-Alpes region, located in the southeast of France, about 25 kilometers north- west of Grenoble, about 200 kilometers south of Geneva, 100 km east of Lyon and 350 kilometers north of the Côte d' Azur. Voiron is framed by the " Massif du Vercors " in the south and east by the " Massif de la Chartreuse ". In the wider community, there are other alpine mountain peaks with some 3,000 meters, including the Massif Belle Donne.
In Voiron various industries are established:
- Skifabrikation; the Rossignol is famous.
- Textile industry
- Metal processing
- Furniture industry
- Food and beverage industry
- Paper industry
- Street: Voiron can be reached via the French motorway A48, exit " Voiron - Champfeuillet ".
- Rail: The railway station is located on the Voiron railway SNCF between Lyon and Grenoble. the " Lazer ", a regional express railway, linking with Voiron Grenoble several times per day.
As a holiday destination Voiron has a lot to offer:
- In Vercorsgebirge the necessary infrastructure for winter sports is available.
- The surrounding mountain ranges offer ideal opportunities for hiking.
Than forty years ago, in 1966, the city has a partnership with the German District of Herford and its nine municipalities in North Rhine -Westphalia is received. There followed in 1971 by a partnership agreement with Šibenik in Yugoslavia and in 1985 with Bassano del Grappa, in the Italian province of Vicenza, Veneto.
During the Second World War the surrounding Vercorsgebirge was the stronghold of the French Resistance and the scene of bloody battles between the French and Germans. Entire villages were exterminated by the Germans; to the scenes of battles, there are commemorative plaques to the action and for the victims of the then " hereditary enemy ".
- The Cretaceous formations of Vercorsgebirges favor the formation of caves for example, the " Grotte de Choranche ", very thin, can be seen to long to three meters Fistuleuses in the hollow, macaroni -shaped stalactites,
- On the other two rivers meet together underground in a cave lake, this phenomenon is unique in Europe.