Bulle ( Fribourg Patois Vouadin? / I ) is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German name Wüadingen and Wüdingen are no longer used today.
Bulle is located at 803 m above sea level. M., 3 km west of the district town cop (air line). The scattered village extends slightly increased at the southern edge of the valley of the Sionge, at the northern edge of the Alps and on the western edge of the trough of bull at the northern foot of the massif of the Moléson.
The area of 10.5 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the cavity of bull and the adjacent foothills. The northern part of the municipality is occupied by the wide valley of the Sionge between the hills of Marly in the north and the Alpine foothills in the south. To the south of the municipality floor extends over the little valley of the Russon on the Nordostabdachung the forest mountain Les Alpettes on which to 1,340 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Bulle is achieved. In a small corner of the area extends southward into the forest area Les Joux DERRIERES and up to the upper reaches of the Trême. From the municipality surface 1997 9 % came from settlements, 22 % of forest and shrubs, 68 % to agriculture and slightly less than 1% was unproductive land.
At Bulle include the hamlet of Les Moret ( 793 m above sea level. M. ) on the northern side of the Sionge, Les Crous (860 m above sea level. M. ) and La Place (864 m above sea level. M. ) on the heights between Sionge and Russon as well as numerous individual farms. Neighboring communities of Bulle are Bull, Gruyere, Vaulruz and an exclave of Echarlens.
With 2153 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Bulle is one of the medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 93.5 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 1.9 % and 1.8 % portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Bulle amounted in 1900 to 1193 inhabitants. Throughout the 20th century, the population fluctuated 1150-1350 people. Only since 1980 (1138 inhabitants), a rapid increase in population was recorded.
Bulle was until the mid-20th century, a predominantly coined by agriculture village. In the 19th century, forestry and the production of straw mats played an important role. Since 1914, there were in Vuadens a factory for the production of milk powder (now the mode is set ).
Even today, animal husbandry and dairy farming and to a lesser extent agriculture an important role in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are in small local manufacturing and services available. Since the 1980s, settled in the village also trade on. Today, enterprises vegetable, construction and transport industries and mechanical workshops, carpentry and painting shops are resident. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many employed persons are therefore commuters who work in the regions Bull, Freiburg and Vevey -Montreux.
The community is easily accessible via. It lies on the main road from Bulle to Vevey. The nearest links to the A12, which is open since 1981 from Bern to Vevey and throughout the municipal area traversed is located around 4 km from the town center.
On 1 July 1868, the railway line from Romont to Bulle was inaugurated with a stop in the hamlet of Les Moret. The narrow gauge railway line from Bulle to Châtel -Saint -Denis, which has a railway station and another station in the municipality, was put into operation on 23 July 1903.
The territory of Bulle was settled very early. The earliest traces of human activity date from the time of the urn field culture (about 1300-1200 BC ). The urn was discovered beneath the foundations of a Roman estate.
The first documentary mention of the place was already in the year 516 under the name Wadingum. Later, the names in curte Vuadingis ( 929 ) published, Uadengis ( 1017 ), Wadens ( 1145 ), Vadens ( 1247 ), Waddens ( 1276), Wadin ( 1471 ) and Bulle ( 1578). The name goes back to the Burgundian personal name Wado and means with the suffix -ene as much as with the people of Wado.
The area around Bulle belonged in the 6th century the Burgundian king Sigismund, the 516 gave the location of the Abbey of Saint -Maurice. In the 13th century, the lords of Vuippens certain rights in Bulle received. 1317 agreed the Abbey of Saint -Maurice with Count Louis of Savoy the exchange of Bulle against Auboranges. The Savoy Bulle now came under the administration of the Corbières. Along with this rule reached the village in 1450 in the possession of the county of Greyerz.
Due to financial difficulties had to Graf Michael von Greyerz Sale 1553 Freiburg to the rule Corbières with Bulle. Henceforth, the village belonged to Fribourg's bailiwick Corbières. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) was one of Bulle during the Helvetic Republic and the subsequent time to 1848 to the then district bull before it was incorporated in the district of Gruyère.
After Bulle was in 1602 became an independent parish of bull, the church of Saint -Sylvestre was built, which was enlarged in 1788 and 1866 one was destroyed by fire. After that, the present church was rebuilt and consecrated in 1869.