Forest Assen is a city in the Upper Palatinate Tirschenreuth and cultural center of the Upper Palatinate pin Lands, she is one of 13 so-called powerful municipalities belonging in Bavaria.

  • 2.1 Amalgamations
  • 3.1 City Council
  • 3.2 Coat of Arms
  • 3.3 Town twinning
  • 3.4 Civil sponsorship
  • 4.1 Music
  • 4.2 Structures
  • 4.3 parks
  • 4.4 Sport
  • 5.1 traffic
  • 5.2 Established businesses
  • 5.3 Public bodies
  • 7.1 Sons and daughters of the town
  • 7.2 Other personalities associated with the city


Geographical Location

The Czech town of Cheb (Eger) is ten kilometers from Assen forest and over the border crossing dog Bach Svatý Kříž ( Holy Cross) to reach. Forest Assen is the northernmost town in the Upper Palatinate.


The political community forest Assen has 21 officially named districts:

  • Egerteich
  • Glass mill
  • Glass meadow
  • Gropp Home
  • Hatzenreuth
  • Dog Bach
  • Kappel
  • Kondrau
  • Mammersreuth
  • Mitterhof
  • Münchenreuth
  • Naßgütl
  • Network of steel
  • Neusorg
  • Pechtnersreuth
  • Pfudermühle
  • Querbach
  • Schloppach
  • Schottenhof
  • Forest Assen
  • Wolfsbühl


The beginnings forest Assen go back to before the year 1133. On October 1, fetched Margrave Diepoldsberg III. of Vohburg -Chambertin monks from Volkenroda in Thuringia, to found the monastery forest Assen, probably starting from a pre-existing Hermit community to an otherwise unused Gerwig of Volmarstein. Waldsassen developed in the following centuries one of the most significant Cistercian monasteries of Bavaria. From 1214 Empire Abbey, the monastery came in the late Middle Ages under Palatinate rule after it was elected in 1465, Count Palatine Otto II von Pfalz - Mosbach- Neumarkt to Vogt. 1571 the monastery was dissolved by the Elector Palatine in the wake of the Reformation. For a long time the monastery buildings, the only settlement. It was not until around the 17th century originated outside of the monastery, the first rows of houses, built in the form of a " grid city " by immigrant Calvinist clothier families. As a result of recatholicization from 1621 came in 1661 again Cistercian monastery from the Fürstenfeld to forest Assen. 1690, the monastery was re-established to the abbey in 1803, however secularized again as part of the Imperial Deputation concluded. 1895, the railway line Wiesau - Eger was opened. For Waldsassen this meant an industrial boom. 1896 gave Prince Regent Luitpold the market Waldsassen city rights. The population had increased to almost 4,000. 30 years before the first porcelain factory was founded, of a brick factory, a brick factory and the first glassworks was followed in the subsequent years. A strong population growth experienced forest Assen after 1945, when many displaced persons there found a new home. The population increased dramatically from 5300 to 7800th In the following decades, new residential areas that changed the cityscape significantly.


In the course of municipal reform the then independent municipality Querbach and parts of the territory of the dissolved municipality Kondrau were incorporated on 1 January 1972. On 1 July 1972, added Münchenreuth.

Other incorporations:

  • Hatzenreuth
  • Network of steel
  • Dog Bach
  • Mammersreuth
  • Schloppach
  • Schloppach
  • Egerteich
  • Pechtnersreuth
  • Querbach
  • Gropp Home


City ​​council

The City Council consists of 20 members, spread after the local elections on 2 March 2008 on the parties and electoral groups as follows:

  • CSU: 9 seats
  • SPD: 7 seats
  • FWG: 4 seats

Coat of arms

Blazon: Argent, standing on green ground and in front of green trees, a silver -clad abbot with silver miter and a golden Abtstab in his left hand, the right hand resting on a golden shield in front of him, in a blue heraldic lily.

The coat of arms has been known since 1693.


  • France Marcoussis, France ( 1970)
  • United Kingdom Pencoed, Wales / United Kingdom (1987 )

Citizens sponsorship

  • Czech Republic Chodov ( Chodau ), Czech Republic ( 1956)

Culture and sights


Forest Assen has also made ​​a name nationally as a venue classical concerts. In the Basilica concerted leading orchestras (such as the Bamberg Symphony ) and conductors (for example, Leonard Bernstein, Colin Davis). In addition, find by the foundation cultural and meeting center Waldsassen Abbey organizes an annual music seminars, of which the International Organ Academy and the International singing week in the summer are the most important. In addition, the choir of the basilica is under the direction of church musicians Regional cantor Andreas Sagstetter with his annual concerts and various liturgical celebrations in the Basilica well received.


  • The basilica with Germany's largest church and monastery crypt and the most comprehensive baroque reliquary treasure north of the Alps is the symbol of forest Assen
  • The monastery Waldsassen the Cistercian
  • Abbey Library in the monastery of Cistercian nuns with their ornate carvings of Karl Stilp
  • Trinity Church Kappl, a major Baroque rotunda of the
  • Stiftland Museum with its special
  • List of monuments in Forest Assen

The basilica

Reflection in the city park pond


Attached to the monastery is a natural adventure garden redesigned garden of the Cistercian Abbey, which is operated by the Foundation cultural and meeting center Waldsassen Abbey. The garden was a branch of the Transnational Garden Show 2006 Marktredwitz / Eger.


  • Egrensis bath, urban outdoor heated pool
  • Indoor swimming pool
  • Gym
  • Several football fields
  • Tennis courts
  • Asphalt curling
  • Several fully automated bowling lanes
  • Ski center with lift, floodlights and snow-making system
  • Shooting range
  • Horse show grounds

Economy and infrastructure


The forest Assen railway station on the former railway line Wiesau - Eger is shut down.

Established businesses

The wheel manufacturer Ghost 's administrative and assembly in forest Assen.

The Waldsassener Glashütte Lamberts focuses, amongst others and Coloured Glass for leaded lights.

What was unique was the wooden bead making the company Stilp who has been resident in forest Assen since 1912. The operation, which ceased production in the 1990s, made ​​up to 90 different pearl varieties which have been painted with a special technique developed by the company and color.

A sad chapter in industrial history is the decline of the porcelain industry in the city. During the 1960s, two porcelain factories the "white gold " manufactured, this industry has now completely disappeared from forest Assen.

The construction company Franz Kassecker GmbH has its headquarters in Forest Assen.

As a contribution to the industrial history established about 30 communities, the Bavarian Upper Palatinate Porcelain Route, which also Waldsassen heard.

Public institutions

  • Clinics Nordoberpfalz AG - Forest Hospital Assen

Educational institutions

  • Junior high school in Stiftland ( boys high school )
  • Mädchenrealschule the Cistercienserinnen
  • Middle or high school forest Assen
  • Markgraf- Diepoldsberg School


Sons and daughters of the town

  • Karl Stilp (1668-1735), sculptor
  • Muttone Philipp (1699-1775), builder
  • Joseph Pözl (1814-1881), Bavarian Landtag president, who was born in Pechtnersreuth
  • Joseph Baierlein (1839-1919), German writer
  • Michael Doeberl (1861-1928), historian, professor of Bavarian history at the Ludwig- Maximilians- University of Munich
  • Walter Stang (1895-1945), Reichsamtsleiter in the Official Rosenberg and a member of the Reichstag
  • Freundl Otto (1912-1982), district administrator and Member of Parliament
  • Anton Schreiegg (1913-2003), poet and author
  • Wolfgang Gaag (* 1943), horn player, member of German Brass, a professor at the University of Music and Performing Arts Munich
  • Werner Fritsch ( * 1960 ), an important contemporary theater and author
  • Matthias Hamann ( * 1968 ), German football player and coach
  • Jürgen Faltenbacher (* 1968), German football official in the BFV and DFB
  • Gerald Selch (* 1969), German journalist
  • Florian Gaag (* 1971), German film director
  • Dietmar Hamann (born 1973 ), German national football team

Other impacts associated with the City of personalities

  • Georg Dietzenhofer (1643-1689), builder
  • Blasius Short (1894-1973), Franciscan and Catholic bishop
  • Abraham Leuthner (~ 1639-1701 ), builder