The monastery Walsrode in Walsrode is one of the historical Lüneklöster. Today it is a Protestant nunnery in the Lüneburg Heath, which is administered by the Hanover Chamber monastery.
The monastery was founded by the Count whales and his wife Odelint as Kanonissenstift before 986, the first documented mention was made in a deed of King Otto III. from the year 986, it is by far the oldest nunnery in the former Principality of Lüneburg. Its patron saint is John the Baptist. In the 13th century a monastery for Benedictine nuns was. 1255 was the Rule of St. Benedict, the Rule of St. Benedict introduced for the first time.
In 1482 large parts of the pen burned down by a lightning strike. From 1528 began during the Lutheran Confessions, the conversion to the Lutheran faith, which - as in the other five Lüneburg monasteries - stretched out over several decades, and was completed by resistors of the Convention until 1570. Henceforth, the monastery was performed as a Protestant convent, which was henceforth occupied to this day with a maximum of 11 residents. 1699 decreed the Guelph Duke Georg Wilhelm also under pressure from the nobility, that all vacancies should be reserved in the monastery noble ladies. 1626, during the Thirty Years' War, the monastery was plundered by soldiers of Tilly. From 1700 the highly dilapidated monastery buildings were demolished and replaced by new buildings on the original foundations.
In the period from 1812 to 1815, the Convention has been repealed and occupied the monastery for three years by Napoleon. As a result, the Convention and its members continued strong one for the social needs in Walsrode and the surrounding area. 1842 was established by the Abbess of Marschalck a charity school in Walsrode, 1875 was the establishment of the first hospital by the Prioress Amalie Stoltzenberg. 1890 was established by Therese von Plato, a waiting school for children.
In 1980 ended the restriction of the Convention on the recording nobleman, now also middle-class women were admitted as members.
The eventful history ensured that many art treasures and the old buildings were destroyed, so that today buildings from the 18th century are mainly to see how the famous Long house of 1720. The remarkable refectory is one of the last German emperor Wilhelm II Foundation. , and his wife. Get remained the windows of the chapel in the execution after the fire in 1482, a nearly life-size figure of the monastery founder whales from the period around 1300 and a 500 -year-old clad wooden figure of the Christ Child ( Bambino ).