Wang Du (artist)
Wang Du ( Chinese:王 度; * 1956 in Wuhan ) is a Chinese contemporary sculptor and installation artist. He has lived in Paris since 1990.
Life and work
Wang Du was born in Wuhan, capital of east China's Hubei Province and studied from 1981 to 1985 at the College of Design, Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts in Canton. In 1986 he founded the artists group "The Salon of Artists of Southern China", which he chaired until 1990. The Tiananmen Square Massacre in summer 1989 at the Beijing Tiananmen Square was the trigger to leave China. Since 1990, the artist lived in Paris; where his work was exhibited for the first time in 1994. 1998/1999 he was a teacher at the École supérieure d'art de Brest and from 1997 to 2002, he taught in the Department of Visual Arts at the University of Paris VIII
In his figurative work of Wang creates three-dimensional structures you from media products. His cast bronze sculpture China Daily, Services top task for Games, which is located in the sculpture park Viersen, for example, shows a crumpled page of the largest English-language Chinese newspaper China Daily. The letters of the text, it was reported in the 2007 on the preparations for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games are engraved. The official government newspaper reported only trivia about the games, the sculpture depicts her as a discarded piece of paper, the effect is achieved by the artist through the oversized shape.
Often built Wang you get with a large accumulation of media products accessible, spatial arrangements. " Wealth and abundance, which can give the impression of waste and garbage, and the croped isolation, both in its size or oversize, give the impression of a spilled of Media, of course Showered one causing the Attackiertseins arise. "
The artist loves photographic reproductions of reality. His object Yellow Pages looks outwardly like a series of internationally accepted business directories, similar to the books of the German Yellow Pages. The contents of the volumes consists of 30,000 images show the views of his native country China.
Wang Du's work are in public collections, among others, as in Paris at the Centre Georges Pompidou, in Beijing UCCA ( Ullens Center for Contemporary Art ) and in San Francisco at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and the Musée de Monaco.
- 2001: Museum of Contemporary Art ( Chicago)
- 2005: Vancouver Art Gallery ( Vancouver )
- 2005: Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (San Francisco)
- 2007: Kestnergesellschaft (Hannover)
- 2009: Ullens Center for Contemporary Art ( Beijing)
- 2010: Städtische Galerie im Park Viersen
Catalogs (Selection )
- A House is not a Home. Les Presses du Reel, Paris 2010
- Dictionnaire international de la sculpture moderne et contemporaine. Editions de Regard, Paris 2008
- Yellow Pages. Onestar press. Galerie Laurent Godin, Paris 2007
- Wang Du. Paris pour escale. Musée d'art moderne de la ville de Paris, Paris 2000
- Dial N For .... Kunstverein, Munich 1999
- Wang Du. Gare de l' Est. Casino Luxembourg. Forum d'art contemporain, Luxembourg 1998