Waterville (Maine)

Kennebec County


Waterville is a city in the state of Maine in the United States and is equipped with 15,722 inhabitants ( as of 2010), the second largest city in Kennebec County.


The city is located in the north of the village in southern Maine Kennebec County at the mouth of the Sebasticook River in the Kennebec River. By Waterville also flows the Messalonskee Stream, which flows south further into the Kennebec. The neighboring communities are from the north clockwise, starting in Fairfield, Benton, Winslow, Sidney and Oakland.


Prior to white settlement the area around Waterville was inhabited by Abenaki. 1771 was first founded Winslow, which also included the village Ticonic Village on the west bank of the Kennebec. There was no bridge over the river at that time, decided the villagers to manage their estate as a separate municipality. On June 23, 1802 founded the town from this village (town ) Waterville. At that time, about 800 people lived in the city.

In February 1813, the Maine Literary and Theological Institution was founded for the still existing Colby College in 1821 to Waterville College and 1867. The city was then living mainly from fishing, shipbuilding, agriculture and the timber industry. The Kennebec River is only navigable far from the coast, which Waterville made ​​an important river port. 1818 opened the first Baptist church its doors. Only in 1824 a bridge was built to Winslow. In 1832 Waterville was connected with ferries to the ports of New England coast to Boston. The first railroad to Waterville, part of the railway Portland Bangor, was opened in 1849.

Mid-19th century, the city developed into an industrial site, favored by the geographical location and the early good transport links. 1873, west of the city was spun off as a separate municipality West Waterville, which was later renamed in Oakland. The Maine Central Railroad, which had taken over both rail routes throughout Waterville, built the station into a major hub, and built here their main workshop. The previously wooden railway bridge over the Kennebec River in 1874 replaced by a new building made ​​of steel. On January 12, 1888 Waterville was eventually converted the as City of Waterville. In the same year, however, was the tram Waterville, initially as a horse track, sometimes as electric tram in operation. This was in service until 1937. 1894 the Thomas College was founded, which still exists today.


A twinning is with Kotlas in Russia.

Culture and sights

  • Art Museum of the Colby College
  • Perkins Arboretum
  • Redington Museum of the Waterville Historical Society
  • Opera House (1902 open )
  • City Library (1902 opened )
  • Two Cent Bridge ( pedestrian bridge to Winslow, 1903 opened )

Economy and infrastructure


The city is located on Interstate 95 Furthermore, the lead U.S. Highway 201 and State Road 11, 100, 104 and 137 through the city. The Kennebec River is navigable from Waterville to the south. Railway lines lead to Portland, Bangor and Augusta. The northern part of the railway Brunswick Skowhegan Skowhegan after being decommissioned. The city had from 1888 to 1937 a tram service. For air transport the Robert LaFleur Airport ( KWVL ) is south of the city.


The daily newspaper of the city is the Morning Sentinel. In addition, the weekly Colby College echo appears. A local TV station WPFO ( in the FOX Network) as well as several radio stations, including the WHMB, which is operated by volunteer students of Colby College, are also available.

Sons and daughters of the town