West Kilbride ( Scottish Gaelic: Cille Bhrìghde to Iar ) is a small town in Scotland. The city is located on the west coast and is part of the unitary authority North Ayrshire. Together with the two types of Seamill and Portencross, which also belong to the municipality of West Kilbride, the city had 2001 4.393 inhabitants.
The small town is situated on the left bank of the Firth of Clyde, the mouth of the River Clyde in the Atlantic. The urban area starts directly with the place Seamill on the shore and goes on a slope directly into the somewhat higher -lying hilly city.
The Law Castle is a tower house at the foot of the Law Hills. It was built in the 15th century by Mary Stewart, the sister of the Scottish king James III .. The building was restored in the 20th century. The premises are rented as holiday apartments.
The Portencross Castle dates from the 14th century and is located near the eponymous harbor. The ruin is L-shaped and four stories high. It replaces a previous buildings and was not equal to this not built on a hill but to their feet, which provides an overview of the Firth of Clyde. In this castle Robert II signed several royal decrees.
In 1739 Portencross Castle lost its roof. Only in recent years, the Association of Friends of Port Ross Castles endeavoring to restoration and reconstruction of the ruins and is supported also by the BBC.
The Crosbie Castle ( also Crosbie Towers ) is located on the northwestern outskirts of West Kilbride. It was largely rebuilt after a destroyed in the 17th century building. This was the seat of Sir Ranald Craufurd, an uncle of William Wallace, the 13th century. Even Wallace himself is said to have spent some time here. In 2007, a storm damaged large parts of the outer walls.
At churches, there is the Saint Andrew's Church and the built of red sandstone Overton Church, belonging to both the Church of Scotland. From the Catholic church is the Saint Brides Chapel. The Barony, a tall, originating from the 19th century church of sandstone is on the main road. The building was desecrated in the meantime and is owned by the public sector. It is used for various events.
In the surrounding areas of the city agriculture is mainly operated. The area is known for its potato. But cattle and sheep is operated.
In the city center itself, a project was started, again workshops and sales rooms were rented by artisans in the listed buildings. For this reason, the city holds the title "Craft Town Scotland ". In 2006, she also won the " Enterprising Britain 2006".
The city is also involved in the Transition Towns action. So is also located in the area, a wind farm.
In the immediate vicinity is the Hunterston B nuclear power station, as well as the coal loading station Hunterston Terminal.
On the rail is West Kilbride Ayrshire Coast Line is reached, which runs from Largs to Glasgow Central via Dalry. The original station with two platforms in 1985 converted to an unoccupied station with a platform. The old station building now houses a restaurant. The electrification was carried out only on one track. On this day only drive freight trains from Hunterston Terminal mainly with coal.
- Robert Simson (1687-1768), mathematician, was born here.
- John Boyd Orr, 1st Baron Boyd - Orr, the Nobel laureate spent much of his youth.