The Wien-Film GmbH was a great Austrian film production company, which emerged in 1938 from the Tobis - Sascha - Film Industry AG and existed until 1985. The company was located until 1945 in the possession of the German Reich Film Chamber below Cautio Trust Company and was responsible for almost the entire film production on Austrian ( " ostmärkischem " ) area.
With the annexation of Austria to the German Reich in 1938, the independent film production in the country came to an end. The German - Austrian Tobis - Sascha - Film Industry AG, which had to be sold in 1937 under pressure to the Cautio, was converted into the Wien-Film on December 16. The preceded Asked by official motto " vying with the other arts to make the film, which can be fulfilled human heart and tremble, and she caught up by revelation of the eternal in better worlds " was signed by Joseph Goebbels. The propaganda mission was thus documented. Jewish people were already no longer allowed from 1935, as the German Reich Film Chamber had threatened with a ban on imports of Austrian films, should not adhere to German regulations you look.
In the feature film production of the new company dominated the Austrian theme, her trademark was the equipment prone Viennese film, the most portrayed past. From 1943/44, Wien-Film also produced color films, a privilege that was until then the UFA reserved. In addition, the Wien-Film also cultural films produced.
In addition to the feature film and cultural film production, the Vienna film also focused on the operation of cinemas. In Austria, were 14 cinemas in Vienna, Bern village, Linz, Steyr and Steyrermühl it. In Vienna it was the cinema " Scala ", " Apollo", "bush " and " UFA - tone ", which were used for premieres. Farms were formerly in the possession of the Viennese theater operation Agency ( Kiba ) and UFA cinemas located under the newly founded " Ostmark movie theater mbH "
The program imposed by Berlin film production was to make films that were rooted in the soil of the " Ostmark " and distracting should - according to the motto " Strength through Joy ".
After the Second World War, the Vienna film was confiscated as " German property " by the Allies. After Vienna was divided into four occupation zones, also it was clear that the film studios in Sievering and the Central were assigned in the Siebensterngasse the American administration, while the rose hill movie studios were located in the Soviet sector. The Sievering movie studios should be liquidated by the Americans. The United States also pursued the interest of making the Hollywood productions no competition.
End of 1945, the former Vienna Film Production manager Karl Hartl was appointed its director. While the Soviets all the former " German " companies took over under the provisions of the Potsdam Agreement as reparation, renounced the western occupying powers, the U.S., France and Britain on this measure. This meant for the newly founded Vienna film that she could continue to work with movie studios in Sievering and Schönbrunn, but had to abandon the Rose Hill movie studios. These were incorporated into the Soviet USIA and as far operated " Wien-Film at Rose Hill". On August 21, 1945, the Vienna - film and the State Office for Reconstruction signed a contract for a documentary about the restoration work in Vienna.
After the State Treaty of 1955, the Company entered into federal ownership. Since the self- production and the rental of the studio became less profitability, the Vienna film was dissolved as a state-owned company in 1985. Get remained only a successor company to the preservation of earlier productions.
The first head of the Vienna - film were General Fritz Hirt, Paul Hach and the Vienna Film director Karl Hartl, who was also head of production to the last. The cultural filmmaking was controlled under the direction of Dr. Josef gingerbread maker of the former Selenophon movie. For the control of film production - from the idea to the presentation - the Reich Film playwright and later the Reich Film Director was responsible.
On 16 December, the first partners' meeting was held at which the Supervisory Board were appointed. These were:
- Friedrich Merten, managing director of film finance, Berlin
- Dr. Josef Joham, board member of the Creditanstalt, Vienna
- Willi Forst, film director, Vienna
- Carl Froelich, film director and president of the Reich Chamber of Film, Berlin
- Dr. Karl Ott, Secretary, Berlin
- Hermann Burmeister, Ministerial Counsellor, Berlin
- Heinrich post office, bank director, Berlin
The stars of the film were Vienna until 1945 Wolf Albach -Retty, Elfriede Datzig, Marte Harell, Hans Holt, Olly Holzmann, Attila Hörbiger, Paul Hörbiger, Winnie Markus, Hans Moser, Rudolf Prack, Jane Tilden and Paula Wessely.
The busiest directors the Vienna film were the experienced converter Nazi propaganda content Gustav Ucicky and EW Emo, which staged one-third of the 60 feature films. Productivity followed them Willi Forst, who was responsible for the best productions of this time, Géza von Bolváry, Hans Thimig, the brothers Ernst and Hubert Marischka and Géza von Cziffra, with the The white dream succeeded the most commercially successful Wien-Film.
The cameramen most used were Günther Anders, George Bruckbauer, Hans Schneeberger and Jaroslaw Tuzar. As a composer employed the Vienna film especially Anton Profes Willy Schmidt- Gentner and. Erich von Neuss and Fritz were Podehl production manager.
As the film studios are the only two large plants in Austria, the former Sascha Film Studios in Sievering and the former Vita movie studios could be used at Rose Hill. In addition, even the small, former Viennese art film studio came at the farmer's market in the 1st district of Vienna and also small studio in Schönbrunn.
In three years of construction, a synchronous hall complex was from 1939 to 1941 in addition to the Rose Hill studios built with a large and a small hall synchronization, editing rooms and offices.
In the years from 1939 to 1945 created fifty films. There were several commissioned productions, which were conducted by the Forest movie, the emo - film and the film Styria.
- Immortal Waltz (1939, E. W. Emo )
- Mother Love (1939, Gustav Ucicky )
- Woman in Power (1939, Gerhard Lamprecht )
- Danube Schiffer (1939 /40, Robert A. Stemmle )
- The postmaster (1939 /40, Gustav Ucicky )
- The Last Judgment (1939, Franz Seitz Sen. )
- So I like you (1940 /41, Hans Thimig, Rudolf Schaad )
- Operetta (1940, Willi Forst)
- My daughter lives in Vienna (1940, E. W. Emo )
- Love is duty free (1940 /41, E. W. Emo )
- Krambambuli. The Story of a Dog (1940, Karl Köstlin )
- A lifetime (1940, Gustav Ucicky )
- Der liebe Augustin (1940, E. W. Emo )
- We ask for a dance (1941, Hubert Marischka )
- Vienna 1910 (1941 / 42, EW Emo )
- Fate ( 1941/42, Geza von Bolvary )
- Homecoming (1941, Gustav Ucicky )
- Thrice Wedding (1941, Geza von Bolvary )
- Fraternal strife ( 1941/42, Hans Thimig )
- Two happy people (1942, E. W. Emo )
- Whom the gods love. Mozart (1942, Karl Hartl )
- Late Love ( 1942/43, Gustav Ucicky )
- Summer Love (1942, Erich Engel )
- The Secret Countess (1942, Geza von Bolvary )
- The holiday child ( 1942/43, Karl Hans manager)
- Black on White (1943, E. W. Emo )
- Schrammeln (1943 /44, Geza von Bolvary )
- Romantic Bridal Voyage (1943, Leopold Hainisch )
- Travel Acquaintance (1943, E. W. Emo )
- Luck with women (1943 /44, Peter Paul Brauer )
- Friends (1943 /44, EW Emo )
- The wise Marianne (1943, Hans Thimig )
- The White Dream (1943, Géza von Cziffra )
- At the end of the world (1943 /44, Gustav Ucicky )
- Mädeln Vienna (1944 /45, Willi Forst)
- Like a thief in the night (1944 /45, Hans Thimig )
- Detours to you (1944 /45, Hans Thimig )
- Ulli and Marei (1944 /45, Leopold Hainisch )
- Love for notes (1944 /45, Géza von Cziffra )
- A man belongs in the House (1944 /45, Hubert Marischka )
- The golden fetters (1944, Hans Thimig )
- The imperious reputation (1944, Gustav Ucicky )
- The heart must mention (1944, Gustav Ucicky )
- April 1, 2000 (1952, Wolfgang Liebeneiner )
- Puntila and his Man Matti (1955, Alberto Cavalcanti )