Oberbipp and Wolfisberg, Aerial View from a balloon

Wolfisberg is a municipality in the Oberaargau the canton of Bern in Switzerland.


Wolfi mountain lies at 670 m above sea level. M., 12 km northeast of the town of Solothurn (air line). The village stretches a scenic location on a terrace on the southern slopes of the Jura ( Leberberg ), approximately 200 m above the plane of the Swiss plateau, above Oberbipp, in the region of Upper Aargau.

The area of ​​2.4 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the Jura south slope. The slope is the product of a massive landslide that occurred at the end of the crack ice age, when the retreat of the glacial Rhone glacier was eliminated the stabilizing effect of the ice. Therefore, the southern limb of the anticline the first Jura chain slipped and left a large landslide zone.

The area is drained by Wolfi mountain in the southwest of the village stream of Oberbipp directly to the Aare while ensures the eastern part of Bipperbach for drainage to Dünnern. The communal land extends from the landslide terrace north across the steep slope up to the ridge of the liver consisting of Malmkalk mountain with various Felsflühen. On the Höllchöpfli (also Hällchöpfli ) is with 1'231 m above sea. M. reached the highest point of Wolfisberg. The western boundary of the municipality extends over the Ankehubel ( 1,085 m above sea level. M. ) and the Randfluh. From the municipality surface 1997 accounted for 5% on settlements, 50 % of forest and shrubs and 45 % to agriculture.

To Wolfisberg include some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Wolfisberg are Niederbipp, Oberbipp and Rumisberg in the canton of Bern and Matzendorf Lauper and village in the canton of Solothurn.


With 186 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Wolfisberg is one of the small communities of the Canton of Bern. Of the residents 96.6 % are German, 1.7 % and 1.2 % albanischsprachig speak French ( as of 2000). The population of Wolfisberg amounted in 1850 to 285 residents in 1900 to 217 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population increased by strong migration to 1980 by a further 40 % to 135 persons. Since then, a significant increase in population was recorded again.


Wolfisberg was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by agriculture village. Even today, agriculture and dairy farming and animal husbandry an important place in the economic structure of the population. Some other jobs are in the local retail industry and the services available. In recent decades, the village has developed thanks to its attractive location into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the larger communities along the Jurasüdfusses between Solothurn and Olten.


The community is located off of the larger passage axes at a connecting road from Niederbipp after Rumisberg. The nearest links to the A1 ( Bern- Zurich ) is located about 5 km from the center. By bus, which operates direct flight from Niederbipp after Rumisberg, Wolfi mountain is connected to the public transport network.


The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1332 under the name Wolfisperg. Later, the names Wulfisperg ( 1464 ), Wüllfflysperg ( 1479 ) and Wulfysperg ( 1518) appeared. The name goes back to the Old High German personal name Vulfo or Wolfi and therefore means mountain of Vulfo / Wolfi.

Since the Middle Ages was under the area of the country Wolfisberg County Buchsgau, which was administered by the Counts of Frohnburg. It was in the reign Bipp and since the beginning of the 14th century to the Official Erlinsburg that came to the Counts of Neuchâtel - Nidau ​​1332. In other Wolfisberg shared the fate of the reign Bipp, which has undergone numerous changes of ownership. As part of this rule, the village in 1413 came under the joint management of Berne and Solothurn. After the division of Buchsgaus Wolfisberg came in 1463 under the sole sovereignty of Bern and the bailiwick Bipp been assigned.

After the collapse of the Ancien Régime (1798 ) Wolfisberg belonged during the Helvetic Republic to the district cheeks and from 1803 to Oberamt cheeks, which was given the status of an office district with the new cantonal constitution of 1831 and was incorporated on January 1, 2010 in the Oberaargau.