Wollishofen is a district of the city of Zurich. The formerly independent municipality Wollishofen was incorporated in 1893 and today, together with narrowness and Leimbach the circle 2
Coat of arms
Located between the Sihl and Lake Zurich, it forms the southern boundary of the urban area on the left bank. The lake covers 28.5 % ( 1.64 km ²) of a total area of the district. In the south Wollishofen borders the municipalities Knives and Kilchberg.
The earliest settlers of this area were the Neolithics: In Haumessergrund were found remains of a Neolithic village. On a Roman settlement have coins from the year 1910 near the railway station and a Roman mosaic floor (now the National Museum ) close.
In the 5th century, the Alemanni crossed the Rhine and settled in the area of Wollishofen in scattered homesteads between Roman ruins at. On one of these Alemanni, Wolo, the name Wollishofen goes back. The name Woloshoven is first mentioned in a document from 1227. 1394 came Wollishofen of Manesseplatz to the city of Zurich and trained since 1423 to 1798 the top Bailiwick Wollishofen.
Alt- Wollishofen existed until well into the 19th century from farms and small groups of houses. Together with Leimbach and the narrowness made it one of the 18 inner bailiwicks of Zurich city, across the two Obervögte exercised the sovereign rights. The names of former officials are noted on a cast bell in 1702. It stands in the courtyard of the old church.
The strong development of the suburbs of Zurich in the 19th century brought with it the same strong financial burdens. This led to the conclusion that only a union can bring the difficult conditions in order with the city of Zurich. 1891 Allocation Act has been on the " City Corporation " adopted by the people of Zurich, with a clear majority. The rural village Wollishofen however, clearly rejected; his wealthy farmer wanted to remain independent. Your recourse is against the law in federal court was unsuccessful.
Wollishofen was incorporated against the will of its voters in a cantonal vote on January 1, 1893 along with ten other municipalities in the city of Zurich and from then formed with the narrowness of the circle 2 The independence almost 100 years earlier gained was so lost again. The then part of the municipality hamlet Oberleimbach was thereby transferred to the neighboring community Knives, to which it belongs today.
Wollishofen on an engraving by Heinrich Brupbacher, 1794
Wollishofen 1880, looking south
Old church Wollishofen, built in 1702, from the southwest. Law, the former gymnasium of the school building A. Outside the church, the old schoolhouse Kilchbergstrasse.
Kalchbühlstrasse / crossroads Widmerstrasse 1925
Church History to the Reformation
Ecclesiastical Wollishofen was divided in the Middle Ages: The majority belonged to Kilchberg, the smaller to St. Peter in the city of Zurich. As a branch of Kilchberg Wollishofen was already mentioned in 1370. In 1281 a first chapel in Wollishofen was mentioned in a document connected with the dwelling of a recluse. 1369 read in this chapel a chaplain of Kilchberg weekly hl. Fair. 1408 Wollishofen was incorporated together with the mother parish Kilchberg the Kloster Kappel. In the year 1514 mentions a verdict, Kappel have to meet the choir of the chapel Wollishofen and to cherish. The Reformation was carried out in Wollishofen together with the Kloster Kappel in 1526. A second chapel was in the guard Honrein; For details, is not known.
In Wollishofen there are several churches and church buildings: The Evangelical Reformed Church has two churches:
- The Old Church Wollishofen, which was built in 1702 as a private house of prayer for the kirchengenössige to Kilchberg Wollishofen. 1764 was the porch on the west side and in 1787 the new belfry. After various alterations and restorations, the church was declared a National Monument in 1968.
- The New Church Wollishofen was built in the years 1935-1936 according to the plans of architect Walter Henauer (1880-1975) and Ernst Witschi ( 1881-1959 ). The church is situated high on the moraine Egg from far away, in the north-south direction and a scenic location on Lake Zurich and the city of Zurich. Because the church is oversized for today's parish, a public design competition for a possible conversion was carried out in 2012.
The Roman Catholic Church is represented in Wollishofen with the parish of St. Francis:
- The church of St. Francis was built between 1927-1928 by the architect Joseph Steiner, Schwyz. The church was built in the Romanesque basilica - style has a characteristic round church tower, which is to remember with his form at the southern home of the church's patron saint Francis of Assisi. It is located at Morgental in a central location.
The United Methodist Church has Wollishofen
- Wesley Chapel, with her name on John Wesley (1703-1791), the founder of the Methodist Church, pointing. The forms designed in the Romanesque Revival style of home building complex consists of residential house and chapel together with a polygonal tower bay. Architect of the building was built in 1911 Brändli Albert ( 1876-1941 ), Burgdorf. Since 1998, the chapel is a listed building.
Economy and infrastructure
Around 1720, a silk weaving was opened and soon attended several smaller companies to create new jobs. The big trend continued in 1885 with the inauguration of the railway station and 1900 with the construction of the electric tram to Morgental one. In July 1928, the route through the section Morgental - Albisstrasse (now Wollishofen ) extended and taken the depot located at the terminus Wollishofen in operation. Today the line runs 7 ( Bhf Stettbach-Bahnhofstrasse/HB-Wollishofen ) of the Zurich Public Transport on this route.
The Albisstrasse, the work of the Zurich Road inspector Heinrich Pestalozzi, was built from 1841 to 1845. The sweeping curve at Morgental balances the road gradient. With the construction of Albisstrasse and the expansion of the Albispass Zurich received a fast road link to train.
The station opened in 1875 Zurich Wollishofen is one of thirteen SBB stations on the territory of the city of Zurich. The S8 and S24 use this station. Just east of the station is the shipyard of Lake Zurich Navigation Company ( CCU ), which is also the headquarters of the company.
The lake water plant moss, the first of two today urban lake water levels, was opened in 1914 on the border with Knives in Wollishofer moss.
The cemetery was built in 1897 Manegg furnished. On it you will find the tombs of some celebrities, such as Alfred Escher.
Built on private initiative and for medium-sized herringbone Werkbundsiedlung Neubühl on the border with Kilchberg is now regarded as the most important settlement of the New Architecture in Switzerland. It was designed jointly by the architect Max Haefeli, Carl Hubacher, Rudolf Steiger, Werner Max Moser, Emil Roth and Paul Artaria.
The first surviving sketch, a situation proposed by the architect Rudolf Steiger of 12 November 1928, the actual planning history began. In the summer of 1930 began with the construction and in the spring of 1932, the homes of the third phase of construction were ready for occupation.
- Quarter Museum ( open Sunday afternoons )
- Rote Fabrik cultural