Xavier University of Louisiana
Template: Infobox college / Logo missing template: Infobox university / staff missing
Xavier University of Louisiana ( xula ) is a Catholic -oriented university in New Orleans, the largest city in the U.S. state of Louisiana.
After more than 4,100 before Hurricane Katrina (2005), there are now back more than 4,000 students. In 2007 graduated 521 graduates, a total of over 18,000 already.
The xula is 105 " Historically Black" and 253 " Catholic " Colleges is the only institute that combines both labels. It can also take the only lay claim to be founded by a papal canonized saints, namely Katherine Mary Drexel.
When alignment is considered to support a just and humane society. It prepares its students for it to assume roles in leadership and in the service of society. This preparation takes place in a pluralistic teaching and learning environment with all relevant means, including research and service.
- Alvin J. Boutte - Founder and CEO of the largest black -led financial institution Indecorp and the Independence Bank and Drexel National Bank in Chicago
- Bernard Randolph - Ehem. General of the USAF, one of only three African- Americans in the rank of four - star general in the U.S. armed forces
- Charles Champion - influential U.S. pharmacist for herbal medicine
- Annabelle Bernard - first black actress at the Deutsche Oper in Berlin
- George McKenna III - Education scientist, developed from a "bad urban school" an excellent educational model, the basis for the TV movie " The George McKenna Story" ( 1986)
- Marie McDemmond - first female president of Norfolk State University
- Louis Castenell - dean of the University of Cincinnati 's College of Education
- Alexis Herman - the first African -American U.S. Secretary of Labour
- Ivan LR Lemelle - Judge of the U.S. District Court in New Orleans
- Regina Benjamin - physicist, first African- American woman as a curator at the American Medical Association 's Board of Trustees
- Sherrie Brown Little John - vice president and spokeswoman for the telecommunications company SBC Messaging in Ramon, California, a subsidiary of SBC Communications
- Rosalind Miller - Director of JB Henderson Family Investment Center in New Iberia, Louisiana, which cares for people on low incomes
- Patrice Jean - Princeton University awarded " Unsung Heroine " for their efforts as well as socio-legal with an award for " effectiveness in teaching molecular biology "
- 2006: Honorary doctorate for Barack Obama - Senator and 44th U.S. President