Map of Yakutat Bay
Yakutat Tlingit is, Yaakwdáat, and means " The place where the canoes rest " as Yuri Lisianski in 1805 reported. Maybe it is originally an Eyak word whose meaning has been lost.
Jean -François de La Pérouse visited the bay in 1786 and named it " Baie de Monti " after one of his officers. In the same year Captain Nathaniel Portlock christened the place " Admiralty Bay". The Spaniards called him " Almirantazgo ". It has also been called " Bering Bay ", on the assumption Vitus Bering had visited him in 1741.
The Yakutat Bay was rocked on 10 September 1899 by an earthquake with a magnitude of 8.0 on the Richter scale.