Autonomous Region (China)
Yinchuan (Chinese银川 市, pinyin Yinchuan Shì ) is the capital of the Autonomous Region of Ningxia Hui Nationality in the People's Republic of China and lies on the upper reaches of the Yellow River. The city's name means silver stream.
At county level, Yinchuan sets of three districts, two counties and one independent city together. These are:
- Municipality Xingqing (兴庆 区), 768 km ², 390,000 inhabitants, the seat of the city government;
- City District Jinfeng (金凤 区), 290 km ², 130,000 inhabitants;
- Municipality Xixia (西夏区), 987 km ², 200,000 inhabitants;
- Yongning county (永宁 县), 1295 km ², 200,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community Yanghe (杨 和 镇);
- Helan county (贺兰 县), 1,600 km ², 180,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community Xigang (习 岗镇);
- Lingwu City (灵武 市), 4639 km ², 230,000 inhabitants.
Ethnic Breakdown of total population Yinchuans (2000)
Had the administrative area of Yinchuan City, according to census (2000) 1177613 inhabitants ( population density: 167,58 inhabitants / km ²).
Since 2000, held in Yinchuan Yinchuan, the International Car and Motorcycle Tourism Festival, the largest event of its kind in China, with about 3,000 motorcycles, usually in August.
- Sand Sea (in Chinese沙湖)
- Xixia mausoleums with museum on the history of the Xixia Kingdom (Chinese:西 夏王陵)
In Yinchuan are the three most important universities of Ningxia, Ningxia Medical University, the University of Nationalities of the North and the Ningxia University.