The Département de l' Yssel - Supérieur ( German department of the Upper - IJssel, Dutch Department van den IJssel - Boven ) was a country from 1811 to 1813 to the French belonging Territory. It was named after the river IJssel.
Before 1790 the territory of the department was one of the historic province of the funds of the Republic of the United Netherlands. In connection with the Revolution in France (1789 ) and the first Revolutionary War ( 1792-1797 ) was created in 1795 in the northern Netherlands, the Batavian Republic. 1806 went on this in the Kingdom of Holland, ruled by Napoleon's brother Louis Bonaparte. After Louis abdicated in July 1810, the territory was incorporated into the French Empire.
To January 1, 1811 there was a reorganization of previous Dutch departments and alignment with the French administrative divisions. The administrative area of the department of upper IJssel comprised most of the previous Dutch department funds.
Temporary, from 1 January to 27 April 1811, the arrondissements of Rees and Münster were part of the Department of the upper IJssel, they had previously belonged to the Grand Duchy of Berg and then switched to the new Department of the lip, which belonged to the Hanseatic departments.
According to the French administrative division in the department of arrondissements, cantons and municipalities were divided. The cantons were also justice of the peace districts.
After Napoleon's defeat in the Battle of Leipzig ( October 1813 ) the country came into the possession of William of Orange -Nassau in December 1813. Taken in response to the Congress of Vienna (June 1815) agreements, the area was assigned to the new Kingdom of the Netherlands. In August 1815 this was divided into provinces, from the department of the upper IJssel today's province was created funds. The temporarily belonging arrondissements Rees and Münster went to Prussia and today belong to North Rhine -Westphalia.
Capital ( chef-lieu ) of the department or office of the prefecture was the city of Arnhem. It was divided into three arrondissements and cantons 32:
The Department had an area of 5,611 square kilometers and, according to statistics from the 1812 total of 192,700 inhabitants.