Barrada is the daughter of the French journalist Hamid Barrada and Mounira Bouzid. In her youth, she spent a few years in Tangier in Morocco before studying political science at the Sorbonne in Paris and photography at the International Center of Photography in New York City occupied. Later she went back to Tangier, where she since 1998 to the project A Life Full of Holes - The Strait Project works showing the city as a counterpoint to Europe on the other side of the Strait of Gibraltar, a city of passage for many people from Africa.
Currently ( 2012) Barrada deals with another boundary, the. Between urban and natural environment The working title is Flowers.
Along with the film producer Cyriac Auriol founded Barrada cinema Cinematheque de Tanger, whose artistic director she is.
Since 2006, Barrada is married to American, living in Tangier screenwriter and actor Sean Gullette. The two have since 2006 a daughter, Véga Barrada.
- 2011: German Bank Artist of the Year
- 2006: Ellen Auerbach Scholarship for Photography at the Academy of Arts, Berlin
- 2012: Loop, image and sound: Hand -Me- Downs, Study Gallery 1357, Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main
- 2011: Installation of phone books ( recipe books ) 2010, Joint exhibition ILLUMINAZIONE: Biennale di Venezia, Arsenale, Venice
- 2011: riffs, German Guggenheim, Berlin, as an artist of the year, Deutsche Bank
- 2011: Appropriated Landscapes: Contemporary African Art from The Walther Collection, Neu-Ulm
- 2011: Women Artists in the Collection of the National Modern Art Museum, Centre Pompidou, Paris
- 2010: Play, Sfeir Semler gallery, Beirut, Lebanon
- 2010: Uneven Geographies, Nottingham Contemporary, Nottingham, England
- 2009: Dress Codes, International Center of Photography, Manhattan, New York City
- 2009: Tarjana / tranlation, Queens Museum of Art, Queens, New York City and the Chelsea Art Museum, Manhattan, New York City
- 2009-2010: Elles @ Centre Pompidou, Centre Pompidou, Paris
- 2009: Indicated by Signs, collective exhibition, Bonner Kunstverein, Bonn
- 2009: Face of Our Time, Group exhibition, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco
- 2007: Biennale di Venezia
- 2002: In Capital Letters, Kunsthalle Basel, Basel, Switzerland