Yvoire is a municipality with 879 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the Haute-Savoie department in the Rhône- Alpes region of France.
It lies on the south bank of Lake Geneva, between Geneva and Thonon-les-Bains/Évian, very picturesquely situated on the northern tip of the peninsula that juts into Lake Geneva ( Presqu'ile du Léman ). Yvoire, considered one of the plus beaux villages de France ( most beautiful villages in France ) is classified, characterized by a well-preserved medieval town center and exuberant floral decoration.
The strategic location Yvoirs guard between the large and small lake used Count Amédée V the Great from 1306 for construction of powerful fortifications. For half a century the city played an important military role, which earned its inhabitants even exemption from payment of fees in 1324. Later, when the whole region of Bern was occupied, the city lost 1536-1591 their military status and the city wall ring was dismantled. The castle was burnt down and remained for 350 years without a roof. During a long period, the village remained meaningless, and from the important military installation was a simple farming and fishing village. With the emergence of tourism began in 1950 in a new development. In 1959 the village for the first time the national flower price.
Culture and sights
The church, dedicated to St. St. Pancras, was probably built in the 11th century and has since been rebuilt several times. The current tower was built in 1854 and belongs to the family of onion domes that characterize the religious architecture in the Savoie and Piedmont of the late 19th century. Originally covered with stacked steel plates that fell prey to the rust, the steeple had to be renovated in 1989, the steel has been replaced by stainless steel and gold plates.
The church after renovation in 1989
The marina on Lake Geneva