Zahara de la Sierra
Zahara de la Sierra is a small municipality in the Spanish province of Cádiz in the autonomous region of Andalusia. The village belongs to the white villages ( pueblos blancos span ) and is situated on the northern edge of the Natural Park Sierra de Grazalema, 124 km from the provincial capital Cádiz.
In the 8th century, the village was founded by the Arabs and was at times an important city of the Moors. Its name is Arabic and means flower. In 1483 Zahara was conquered by the Christians, so opened the way to Ronda and thus to Granada. The remains of a Moorish castle from the 12th century tower over today on a rock the place and offer a fantastic view over the surrounding countryside and the lake of Zahara.
- Remains of the Moorish castle and donjon with a square base.
- Clock Tower ( Torre del Reloj, from the 16th century)
- Church of Santa María de la mesa; built in the 17th century in Baroque style.
The Feast of Corpus Christi ( Corpus Cristi span ) represents the annual high point of village life, when the processions pull on the flower-covered streets of the town.