The Central Railway ( zb) is a Swiss railway company which (LSE ) was created on 1 January 2005 from the merger of Brünigbahn SBB and the Society of Luzern -Stans -Engelberg -Bahn. The company is based Stansstad. It operates the meter gauge Brünigbahn (Lucerne - Interlaken Ost ) and the meter gauge Luzern- Stans- Engelberg -Bahn.
1888 was opened by the Jura -Bern -Luzern (JBL ) the Brünigbahn of Brienz over the Brünigpass up to Alpnachstad and thus Brienz and Lake Lucerne connected. A year later the railway was extended to Lucerne, 1916 on the other side to Interlaken Ost. During the Second World War line was electrified and taken 1941/42, the electrical equipment. The JBL went later on in the Jura -Simplon -Bahn (JS) and this was nationalized in 1903.
In 1890, the concession for a railway from Stansstad to Engelberg was granted. On January 27, 1897, the railway company could Electric Train Stansstad -Engelberg ( StEB ) constitute, however, is listed as the first statutes date in the Commercial Register October 10, 1890. Was opened the route on 5 October 1898. Because the company could not pay the interest on the debt, demanded in 1957 some bondholders forced liquidation. This could be averted by buying up the majority of the bonds by the Ersparniskasse Nidwalden.
Since the distance in Stansstad ended on Lake Lucerne, the Government of Nidwalden handed 1951 license application for a connection path to Hergiswil with a connection to the SBB Brünigbahn. This concession was granted in 1956 and 1959 granted the Federal Assembly a federal contribution, which allow the recording of the construction work. In 1964 the connection Stansstad Hergiswil opened with integration into the station the Brünigbahn and a complete renovation of the existing line will be completed with adjustment to the Brünigbahn -Standard Parts. Now direct trains from Lucerne were conducted under shared Brünigbahn section. The financially rehabilitated StEB took restarting the name of Luzern- Stans- Engelberg -Bahn (LSE ).
On 30 June 2004, the Federal Council SBB authorized to sell the Brünigbahn at the LSE. The concession of the LSE was then extended to the Brünigbahn. Since the Brünigbahn SBB was not an independent company, there is no real fusion but a complex merger. In a first step, the LSE changed its name to eg Central Railroad, Inc. in December 2004. Then, a capital increase was carried out in which the SBB shares recorded and this paid by the de facto demise of Brünigbahn (infrastructure and rolling stock). Although the thus created new company operates independently, but is two-thirds owned by the SBB.
A similarly named railway company was incorporated in 1902, the SBB, the Swiss Central Railway.
Since the central train was not a newly founded company from the ground up, the rolling stock of the previous tracks was taken. First « new cars » of ZB were still appointed by the SBB ten SPARROW trainsets (type ABe 4/8) for valley routes from Stadler Rail. This went from the end of 2004 operating gradually and carried from the factory, the corporate design of the Central Railway. Also in 2005 was a new diesel-electric locomotive gear (type HGm 2/2) are taken from Stadler in operation.
The still appointed by the LSE three articulated vehicles ( type ABt ) from Stadler were put into operation in 2006. The optically strongly opposed to the SPARROW trainsets vehicles for operation through the floor tunnel ( colloquially, " Engelberg tunnel ") procured its completion, however, was delayed for several years. Until the opening of the tunnel in December 2010, the joint control cars were usually used together with the SPATZes on the S -Bahn from Lucerne.
For operation on the former LSE route to Engelberg newer vehicles from the existing rolling stock park be used and partially modernized (fire protection measures). Since December 2010 run to Engelberg Lokpendelzüge with HGe 4/4 II, joint control cars ( 941-943 ) and the newer cars from the LSE, after delivery of the new trains for the Brünigbahn are also arrived yet two panorama coaches do so.
In September 2009, the Central Railways ordered four seven -car multiple units " ADLER " type ABReh 150 (126 m long) and six three-part " FINK " type ABEH 160 from Stadler Rail. The total of about 141 million Swiss francs expensive trainsets have a Adhäsionsantrieb and a separate gear drive. The ADLER consists of two three-piece train set with one cab and a lined up in between, not driven dining car. The commercial use of the first delivered trains began on 22 September 2012.
" Golden Pass " Composition at Brünigpass
Train meeting in Brienz
The Meiringen train station
De 110 005 in Meiringen Train Station
Four rail track Zentralbahn in Lucerne
- Peter Berger, Hans Waldburger, Christoph Berger: paths to Engelberg. 100 years railway from Lake Lucerne to the monastery town. Mini rex, Lucerne 1998, ISBN 3-907014-10-3