Seja (Russian Зея ) is a town in Amur Oblast (Russia) with 24,986 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city lies on the southern edge of Tukuringragebirges, about 500 km north of the Oblasthauptstadt Blagoveshchensk, on the right bank of the Zeya. The river that gave the town its name, is leaving here be transverse valley, which is why this place was a little above the city for the construction of the Zeya Dam, the largest in the Far East of Russia, elected.
The city is the Seja Oblast subordinated administratively directly and also the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons.
Seja is connected via a 100 km long road to the station Tygda the Trans -Siberian Railway.
Seja originated in 1879 in virtually uninhabited regions as supply and management base for the gold mining in the upper Zeya under the name Seiski sklad ( Зейский склад, about Seja - warehouse ). On 12 March 1906, the now grown to about 5000 inhabitants place got the name Seja - pristane ( Зея - Пристань, Seja about Jetty or small port ) city charter. On November 3, 1913, the town's name was shortened to the present.
Up until the 1930s, when there was a shift the center of gold mining in the Kolyma region, was the Seja - area, and with it the city Seja, one of the most important for gold mining in Russia. A new lease took the city with the construction of the Zeya Dam between 1964 and the end of the 1970s.
Note: Census data (1939 rounded)
Culture and sights
In Seja there is a branch of the oblast museum of local history and a museum of the establishment of the Zeya Dam.
The most important economic factor is the Zeya dam, next to the forest. The city is surrounded by an agricultural area of regional importance (vegetables, cattle ). Still the gold mining plays a certain role.