Schydatschiw (Ukrainian Жидачів; Russian Жидачев / Schidatschew - formerly Жидачов / Schidatschow, Polish Żydaczów ) is about 52 kilometers south of the Oblasthauptstadt Lviv situated on the river Stry a Rajonshauptstadt located in western Ukraine.
The town was first mentioned in writing in 1164 and 1393 received the Magdeburg rights. In the period between the 14th and 16th centuries Schydatschiw is a fairly large city. She has two castles, fortifications, three Ukrainian churches, a Roman Catholic church, a marketplace and a wooden town hall. In the period 1708-1718 there were Schydatschiw an Augustinian monastery. 1899, the rail link was opened. The city belonged until 1918 to the Austrian Galicia, after the end of the First World War, the city became part of Poland and was here from 1921 in the province Stanislav.
Due to the German - Soviet non- aggression pact, the city of the Soviet Union was slammed, there came to town to the Ukrainian SSR in the newly formed Lviv Oblast. From 1941 to 1944, the city was occupied by the German Wehrmacht. In 1951 the largest combine for paper production in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic was put into operation in Schydatschiw, which is the most important economic operation of the city today. Since 1991, the city is a part of today's Ukraine.
Economy and infrastructure
The town lies on the railway line Stry - Chodoriw and relatively close to the international highway M 06 which of Chop ( border to Slovakia and Hungary) via Lviv to Kiev. For public transport, in addition to buses to Lviv, Ivano -Frankivsk Kalush and especially Marschrutki important. They run, depending on the line, every 20 to 60 minutes, open up the surrounding villages and connect, even in competition with buses and railways, Schydatschiw with the larger cities. They are more expensive than bus and railway, but much more often run and open up even small villages.
Economically, especially the paper mill of importance. In addition there are in and around Schydatschiw also food industry and construction. Schydatschiw is the commercial center of the region and the retail sector is accordingly pronounced.
In addition to the prevailing Greek Catholic Church and the Roman Catholic Church and Judaism in the city are deeply rooted. Many churches and cemeteries occupy the multi-confessional history.