Żyrardów [ ʒɨ'rarduf ] is a Polish district town with 41,000 inhabitants in the Masovian Voivodeship. It is located 45 km southwest of the Polish capital Warsaw.
The beginning of the town being founded in 1829 by the linen weaving. It was one of the larger and most modern Leinfabriken of Europe at that time. The name Żyrardów is connected to the first technical managing director Philippe de Girard. He also served as the inventor of a Leinengarnverarbeitungsmaschine.
In the second half of the 19th century after the takeover by two German industrialists, Karl August and Karl Dittrich Hielle, weaving a factory settlement were expanded and built.
In the factory, workers settlement houses, dwellings for the managers, churches, schools, kindergarten, hospital and other service industries have been. The settlement still exists today as the center of the city.
In 1916 Żyrardów received its town charter.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Paweł Hulka - Laskowski (1881-1946), writer
- Walter Brand (1907-1980), politician Sudeten
- Leszek Miller ( born 1946 ), politician, 2001-2004 Prime Minister of Poland
- Paweł Sajak ( born 1977 ), Member of the Sejm
- Lourmarin (France)
- Hajduszoboszlo (Hungary )
- Delčevo (Macedonia)