Ancient Diocese of Tarentaise
Located in France diocese of Tarentaise (Latin Dioecesis Tarantasiensis ) was founded in the 5th century as a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Vienne. It was elevated to an archbishopric with suffragan 794 Aosta, customs and Maurienne. Together with these bishoprics remained Tarentaise under the primacy of the Archbishop of Vienne ( Primate of Primates ).
1801 Archdiocese of Tarentaise was dissolved in the wake of the French Revolution and incorporated the Archdiocese of Chambéry. On August 5, 1825 Tarentaise was re-established as a diocese, but as a suffragan of the ecclesiastical province of Chambery. On April 26, 1966, together with the diocese of Maurienne incorporated in the Archdiocese of Chambéry.
In 1949 the diocese of Tarentaise counted about 50,000 Catholics in 87 parishes. These were attended by 109 diocesan priests and religious priests 5, which must be added 180 nuns came. It had an area of 2247 km ².