Arènes de Lutèce

The Arena of Lutetia (French Arenes de Lutece ) applies, as the oldest still preserved building in the French capital Paris. The Roman amphitheater is located in the Rue Monge in the 5th arrondissement.

The Arena dates from the 1st century and was used until the end of the 3rd century. Approximately 17,000 people could attend the spectacles ( theater performances, but also fights to the death). With the advent of Christianity the Roman circuses generally lost in importance, and as the 3rd - 4th Century, the Huns invaded Europe, the Arenes de Lutece was shut down and its stones used to build the city walls and other fortifications.

The ruins were rediscovered until 1869, when the Compagnie générale des omnibus in its place wanted to build a bus depot. In July 1883 Victor Hugo asked in an open letter to the City Council to ask the Arenes de Lutece under the protection of the city. This responded within a few days and explained the ruins of the historic monument.

1916, the depot was demolished and restored the amphitheater as far as possible in the sequence. Today, even the cages of the lions there can be visited.