Charles Sprague Sargent
Charles Sprague Sargent ( born April 24, 1841 in Boston, † March 22, 1927 in Boston ) was a North American botanist specializing in Dendrology. Its official botanical author abbreviation is " coffin. ".
Sargent was the founder and first director of the Arnold Arboretum. He completed his studies in biology in 1862 from Harvard College. From 1888 to 1897 he was editor of " Garden and Forest". He was a distant cousin of the painter John Singer Sargent.
The plant genera Sargentia and Sargentodoxa are just like the magazine " Sargentia " named ( 1942-1949 ) after him.
- A few suggestions on tree -planting. Boston 1876, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.35249
- A catalog of the forest trees of North America. Washington 1880, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.46879
- Report on the forests of North America. Washington 1884 doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.45220, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.22935, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.25902, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.39766
- The woods of the United States. Appleton, New York 1885 doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.28215, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.44318
- Protection of the forests of the Commonwealth. Boston 1886, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.34823
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees grow naturally in North America Which exclusive of Mexico. Houghton, Mifflin and Company, Boston, New York 1891-1902 doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.14668
- Forest flora of Japan. Notes on the forest flora of Japan. 1894 doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.18131, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.18184, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.54499
- With A. Des Cars: A treatise on pruning forest and ornamental trees. Boston 1900, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.29729, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.35300
- Trees and shrubs. Illustrations of new or little known ligneous plants, prepared chiefly from material at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. Boston 1905 - 1913, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.60428
- Manual of the trees of North America. Houghton, Boston 1905 doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.30439, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.3586 2nd edition, 1922, doi: 10.5962/bhl.title.30438
- Robert Zander, Fritz Encke, Günther Buchheim, Siegmund Seybold (eds.): Handbook of Plant Names. 13th edition. Ulmer Verlag, Stuttgart 1984, ISBN 3-8001-5042-5.