Yuk Ming Dennis Lo quotes, YMD Lo, (Chinese卢煜明/卢煜明, Pinyin County Louth Yuming, IPA (high Chinese) [ lǔ ŷmǐŋ ], Jyutping Lou4 Juk1 - ming4; born October 12, 1963 in Hong Kong) is a Chinese laboratory physicians, known for the non-invasive prenatal diagnosis of fetal DNA in the blood plasma through the nut.
Life and work
Dennis Lo studied at the University of Cambridge with a Bachelor 's degree and MD and Ph. D. received at the University of Oxford. After that, he was a lecturer of Clinical Biochemistry at the Radcliffe Hospital, the teaching hospital of the Faculty of Medicine at Oxford, and Fellow of Green College, Oxford. In 1997 he returned to Hong Kong. Li Kai Shing He is professor of medicine and professor of chemical pathology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong Li Ka Shing and Director of the Institute of Health Science.
In 1997, he discovered the presence of fetal DNA in the circulation of pregnant women and the possibility of prenatal diagnosis on it. Later he discovered with his team, the existence of cell-free fetal RNA in blood plasma of the mother and they showed that these for the diagnosis of Down syndrome ( trisomy 21) can be used. They developed methods with polymerase chain reaction and massively parallel DNA sequencing of the fragments of the genome of the fetus in the mother's blood plasma to analyze the genetic and epigenetic markers recognized the importance of prenatal diagnosis.
- NM Hjelm, C. Fidler, IL Sargent, MFMurphy, Chamberlain PF, Poon PM, Redman CW, Wainscoat JS Prenatal diagnosis of fetal RhD status by molecular analysis of maternal plasma, New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 339, 1998 S. 1734-1738.
- With N. Corbetta, PF Chamberlain, V. Rai, ILSargent, Redman CW, Wainscoat JS Presence of fetal DNA in maternal plasma and serum, The Lancet, Volume 350, 1997, pp. 485-487.
- With RWK Chiu: Prenatal diagnosis: progress through plasma nucleic acids, Nature Review Genetics, Volume 8, 2007, pp. 71-77
- With E.K.O. Ng, NBY Tsui, TK Lau, TN Leung, RWK Chiu, NS Panesar, LCW Lit, KW Chan mRNA of placental origin is Readily detectable in maternal plasma, Proceedings of the National Academy USA, Volume 100, 2003, pp. 4748-4753.
- With K. C. Allen Chan, Chunming Ding, Ageliki Gerovassili, W. Yeung Sze, Rossa WK Chiu, Tse N Leung, Tze K. Lau, Stephen S. C. Chim, Grace T.Y. Chung, Kypros H. Nicolaides Hypermethylated RASSFIA in Maternal Plasma: A Universal Fetal DNA Marker did Improves the Reliability of Noninvasive Prenatal Diagnosis, Clin. Chem, Volume 52, 2006, pp. 2211-2218.
- 2005 State Natural Science Award (China)
- 2006 Abbott Award from the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (IFCC )
- 2006 Distinguished Science Award from the U.S. National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry
- 2007 Sigi Zeiring Award from the American Association of Clinical Chemistry
- 2009 Fulbright Distinguished Scholar
- 2011 Member of the Royal Society
- 2013 Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 2014 King Faisal Prize