Hanns Peter Winter ( born August 22, 1941 in Wels, † November 8, 2006 in Vienna) was an Austrian physicist. He was internationally known for his research in the field of plasma physics (in particular nuclear fusion research ), atomic physics and molecular physics and surface physics.
Hanns Peter Winter was born to Joseph Winter and Winter Hadwig, born Loacker born. He grew up in Wels and Bregenz, attended high school Stella Matutina in Feldkirch and the HTL Mödling and then studied physics at the TU Vienna. As a student, he traveled hitchhiked to India and Africa.
Winter was his Doctor of Engineering Sciences at the University of Vienna in 1970 and worked in the same year as a research assistant at the Austrian Research Centre Seibersdorf. From 1970 to 1980 he was assistant professor at the Technical University of Vienna, and from 1973 to 1975 visiting researcher and consultant at the Institute for Heavy Ion Research in Darmstadt. In the years 1976/77 he worked as a guest researcher at FOM Instituut voor Atoom in Amsterdam. From 1980-1990 winter was a university professor of plasma physics at the Technical University of Vienna in 1986 and a visiting researcher at University of Groningen. He also spent between 2003 and 2006 after the award of the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award several months as a visiting researcher at the Humboldt University in Berlin.
From 1987 to 2006 he was chairman of the Institute of General Physics (IAP ) at the University of Vienna, from 1990 Full Professor of General Physics, and from 1996 to 2006 Head of Research Unit of the Austrian Coordination Office for Nuclear Fusion Research in the framework of EURATOM. He was a member of the Senate of the University of Vienna since 1990, since 2002 Curia spokesman of the professors in the Senate of the University of Vienna.
Winter was a member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences since 1998 Correspondent. He was co-editor of Euro Physics Letters, Heavy Ion Physics, Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion. Winter has published about 270 publications in refereed international scientific journals.
Winter died unexpectedly when training, his most important leisure activity, of a heart attack. He was buried at the Central Cemetery in Vienna. Winter was married to Judge Renate Winter and has a son, Dr. Dorian winter, and a sister, Dr. Erika Winter -Wilde and a brother, Dr. Michael Winter. Hanns Peter Winter was a member of the Catholic fraternity KAV since 1962 Bajuvaria Vienna in ACA.
Winter was involved in numerous committees
- Head of the Committee on Atomic, Molecular and Plasma Physics ÖPG (1987/1988)
- Chairman of the ÖPG (1989-1991)
- President of the Section physics Commission (1990-1995)
- Chairman of the Austrian. University Professors' Association (1991-1993)
- Deputy. Chairman of the Austrian. Federal professor Conference (1991-2001)
- Austrian. Representative in the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics IUPAP (1993-1999)
- Deputy Chairman of the IUPAP Commission on Atomic and Molecular C 15 Physics and Spectroscopy (1996-1999)
- Chairman of the Atomic and Molecular Physics Division Board of the European Physical Society EPS (1998-2000)
- Member of the Board of the EPS Plasma Physics (1997-2001)
- Head of Research Unit ( coordinator ) of the Association EURATOM - Academy ( the Austrian participation in the European Fusion Programme ) (since 1996)
- Member and R & D Officer of the Austrian. Fachhochschule Council (2000-2005)
- Chairman of the Austrian Physical Society
- Member of the German Physical Society
- Member of the Scientific Council of the Max Auwärter Foundation
- Member of the EPS Action Committee on Physics and Society
- Founding member of the " Friedrich Schiedel Foundation for Power Engineering " (1988)
His work and teaching work included the areas of plasma physics ( and especially nuclear fusion research ), the atomic and molecular physics, and surface physics. Prof. Winter stepped lasting for a comprehensive international cooperation is a - in particular for the cooperation with colleagues from the member countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and in the context of the research programs of the European Union - and was strongly committed to the research and university policy in Austria.
Among other things, he was instrumental in the implementation of evaluation processes for scientific quality assurance of university institutes in Austria. The products developed by Winterhalter methods in the context of physics evaluation were widely viewed on the project status as a holistic pioneering. The methods of performance measurement (evaluation ) and the rational use of resources are now used as necessary tools in the modern university management.
Winters educational policy was particularly interested in the promotion of technical understanding and promotion of women in technical professions.
Awards and honors
He was awarded the Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class (2001) and holder of the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award ( 2003).
2007 Hanns Peter Winter price was established at the Vienna University of Technology. Through this prize annually research achievements in frames should be awarded by dissertation projects that have been provided by graduates of the doctoral program at the TU Vienna. In addition to the recognition of outstanding academic performance to draw attention to the price to the specific achievements of women in the field of research and technology. The prize was first awarded in 2008.