Herman Friedrich Grimm ( born January 6, 1828 in Kassel, † June 16, 1901 in Berlin) was a German art historian and publicist. The son of Wilhelm Grimm was one of the most famous writers of the 19th century.
Herman Grimm was the son of Wilhelm Grimm and his wife Dorothea. He was a student of the historian Leopold von Ranke. Herman Grimm lived since 1841 in Berlin. He was a personal friend of Goethe girlfriend Bettina von Arnim, whose daughter he married Gisela 1859. After his 1847 commenced legal and philological studies, he finally received his doctorate in 1868 in Leipzig and then habilitated in 1870 in Berlin. In 1873 he was appointed Professor of Contemporary Art History at the Friedrich- Wilhelms- University of Berlin. In addition, he was one of the founders of the Goethe Society and was one of the editors of the Weimar edition of Goethe's works. In 1884 he was awarded the title "Secret Government " award.
Grimm lived as a Buddhist. He was on the old St. Matthew's Cemetery in Berlin -Schöneberg buried ( grave of honor today the city of Berlin ).
Grimm's works are written in a lively style today. They lead the reader not only from their attitude towards these tracks out, but enable him also to get used to a free and less traditionally bound dealing with the language. This is particularly striking in the Goethe- lectures. Grimm not only reports, but has the intention really to stimulate thinking.
- Life and work of Raphael. Phaidon Verlag, Essen 1997, ISBN 3-88851-209-3 (former title "Life Raphael 's").
- Novels. Publisher Zbinden 1966 ( d Nachdr Ed Berlin 1856)
- Homer's Iliad. 2 vols Hertz, Berlin 1890/95
- Albrecht Dürer. Lüderitz, Berlin, 1866.
- Essays on literature. Gütersloh Bertelsmann in 1915.
- Essays on art. Bertelsmann, Gütersloh 1915.
- German artist. Seven essays. Kröner, Stuttgart 1942 ( Kroner pocket edition; 184)
- New essays on art and literature. Dümmler, Berlin, 1865.
- Goethe's covenant of friendship with Schiller. Lectures ( Loeb Classical Library 7174 ). Reclam, Leipzig, 1949 ( Nachdr d ed Leipzig 1932)
- The Spirit of the Germans. Thoughts. A breviary. Herbig, Berlin 1940.
- Goethe. Lectures held at the Royal. University of Berlin. Cotta, Stuttgart 1923 ( 2 vols )
- The Academy of Arts and the relation of the artist to the state. Hertz, Berlin, 1859
- Goethe in Italy. Lecture given, to the best of the Goethe Memorial in Berlin. Hertz, Berlin, 1859.
- The Cartons of Peter von Cornelius in the halls of the Royal. Academy of Arts in Berlin. Hertz, Berlin, 1859.
- Insurmountable powers. Novel. 3 vols Berlin: Hertz 1867
- (Eds. ) Exchange of letters between Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm from the youth. Weimar: Böhlau 1881
- Ten Selected Essays on Introduction to the study of modern art. Dümmler, Berlin 1883 ( available as a digitized version of the University of Heidelberg)
- Michelangelo. His life in the history and culture of his time, the heyday of the art in Florence and Rome. Safari -Verlag, Berlin, 1967 ( Repr ed d Stuttgart 1907)
- The Age of Goethe. Memories and Reflections on German intellectual history of the nineteenth century. Kröner, Stuttgart 1948 ( Kroner pocket edition; 193)
- In the name of Goethe. The Exchange of Letters of Marianne Willemer and Hermann Grimm. Edited and introduced by Hans Joachim Mey. Frankfurt / M: Island of ET 1988
- Frederick W. Holls (ed.): Correspondence in between Ralph Waldo Emerson and Herman Grimm. Kennikat Press, London, 1971 ( Literary America in the 19th Century )
- Works and Correspondence of the Brothers Grimm ( Kassel edition). Dept. Letters / Volume 1: correspondence of the Grimm brothers Herman Grimm (including the exchange of letters between Hermann Grimm and Dorothea Grimm, née game). Edited by Holger Ehrhardt, Kassel / Berlin 1998. ISBN 3-929633-63-9
The scientific and private estate of Hermann Grimm (1828-1901) and partial estates of the brothers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm and other family members are kept in the Hessian State Archive Marburg (stock 340 Grimm). It has a circumference of approximately 30 linear meters and a period of 1698 until 1949. The stock is fully developed and HADIS researched online.