Template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / height missing
The Indonesian island Kisar located 30 km north-east of Timor.
Kisar is geographically part of the Lesser Sunda Islands, but politically to the Indonesian province of Maluku. On Kisar about 6000 people live; The island is 81.8 km ².
On Kisar is Wonreli, the capital of Kecamatans ( subdistrict ) Pulau - Pulau Terselatan, and by September 16, 2008 to 26 November 2012, the de facto capital city of the Southwest Moluccas ( Maluku Barat Daya ). Today is the de jure capital of the district Tiakur on Moa.
1665 was built a military base by the Dutch East India Company on Kisar and integrated into the province of Banda. The Dutch gave the island its name. When the first Dutch officer the locals after the name of the island asked while pointing at the floor, they told him what he was: Kiasar - white sand. Even today share common descendants of European soldiers and locals who Mestiezen van Kisar. This population group is the reason that you will find on Kisar family name as Joostenz, Wouthyusen, Caffin, Lerrick, Peelman, Lander, Ruff, Bellmin - Belder, Coenradi, van Delsen Schilling and Bakker.
1795 Kisar was English, in 1803 it was part of the Batavia Republic of the Dutch kingdom under French rule in 1810 and again in English. 1817 Kisar went back into Dutch possession. This they remained as 1819, the base was abandoned.
Close relations prevailed with the region of Baucau in Timor and the local kingdom of Vemasse. Regularly you visited to trade in gold and water buffalo was driven and the Raja of Vonreli on Kisar paid a tribute to the Liurai of Vemasse. Only at the end of the 19th century, the Portuguese governor of Timor José Celestino da Silva sub-band (1894 to 1908) each contact, as the Raja refused from Protestantism to Catholicism convert. But even 15 years later the contacts were renewed when the Raja of Kisar with a fleet of 20 small ships docked on the beach of Baucau.
1942 Kisar was occupied during World War II, as well as the neighboring islands of Japan. Inhabitants of the island were abducted by the Japanese to Timor, where they were subjected to forced labor. Kisar women had in a so-called " Japanese Restaurant ", the Japanese soldiers brothels operate in loud.
1950 Kisar was part of the Republic of Maluku Selatan (Republic of the South Moluccas ).
At the beginning of the 20th century the inhabitants Kisars were divided into different castes. The smallest group was formed by Marna (nobility ), approximately twenty times as many inhabitants were Wahoeroe ( farmers ) and three times as many inhabitants as Marna were Stam ( former slaves ). Probably the Wahoeroe of the most primitive population of the island come from.
The predominant local language is the Austronesian language Meher ( Kisar, Yotowawa ). It is spoken in 19 villages. It is similar to the nearly extinct language in East Timor Makuva.
In two villages in the south of Kisar Oirata is spoken, a dialect of Fataluku. The Papuan language spoken is otherwise mainly in the east of East Timor. 1721 came from there refugees who settled on Kisar.
The Kisar Barn Owl (Tyto alba kuehni ) is a subspecies of Barn Owl, which is found only on the island of Kisar. It resembles the Indian Barn Owl in coloration, however, is on the upper side yellow ocher and has wider black dots. The underside is brownish tinted and quergebändert.