Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz
The Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz - Max - Planck - Institute ( KHI) is one of the oldest research institutions dedicated to the art and architecture of Italy, which is studied here in their European, Mediterranean and global implications.
To underline the independent right to have its own research institute of the young discipline of art history, laid the professor of art history at the University of Breslau August Schmarsow 1888 winter semester in Florence, conducted research and held lectures. He founded there with his students, including among others Max Jakob Friedländer, Max Semrau and Aby Warburg a " precursor Institute ". A National Institute under sponsorship of Prussia was not sought because they feared a connection to the Archaeological Institute in Rome, which was of a discipline from which you wanted to be emancipated. The Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florence was founded in 1897 after financial disputes as a private initiative by a group of independent scholars. First, the whole of Italy serves from Florence, after the founding of the Bibliotheca Hertziana 1913 in Rome, the work was limited to northern and central Italy. The Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florence belongs since 2002 to the Max Planck Society.
On the day, led by two Directors Institute about 60 scientists are working, with an emphasis on the promotion of international scientists. In addition to numerous individual research, externally funded projects and a variety of international partnerships with universities, museums and research institutions are at KHI performed greater long - and medium-term projects, on topics ranging from late antiquity to modern times. Researchers from around the world can use the institution's resources. This mainly included the library of over 310,000 some very rare volumes, 1,000 current periodicals and one of the world's most extensive photo archives of Italian art history. With its program of public scientific events and up to 100 visitors daily, the KHI is understood as a forum for lively international and interdisciplinary open scientific exchange.