KZ â€“ Nebenlager Bretstein
The KZ subcamp Bretstein at Bretstein (district Mur ) in Styria was one of the satellite camps of Mauthausen concentration camp. It was German Research Institute for Food and Catering GmbH, which on three mountain farms of the local area ran a sheep and horse breeding as early as 1939 in the context of the economic operation SS's own. The central intention was in this respect in the testing of agricultural employment opportunities for so-called military farms that - should be used for " Germanization " - according to the German " General Plan for the East ".
In June 1941, finally began the operation of the camp itself, where a total of at least 170 prisoners were interned. It included two surrounded by fences and watchtowers prisoner barracks and a kitchen block and a barracks for the guards. The surveillance was conducted of up to 50 members of the 2nd Company of the " SS-Totenkopf storm bans Mauthausen ". The prisoners of the concentration camp subcamp Bretstein were predominantly Republican Spanish and German Jehovah's Witnesses, who were forced to work primarily in the way and road construction or in agriculture.
The unbearable situation of the prisoners led to several attempts to escape. At the local cemetery of the community Bretstein are still the remains of seven former prisoners of the camp.
The KZ subcamp Bretstein was closed on 25 June 1943.
In April 2003, a memorial was opened on the camp grounds.