Lisieux is a town with 21,391 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) in the French region of Lower Normandy Calvados region. It is the seat of the prefecture (French Sous- préfecture ) of the arrondissement of Lisieux. This consists of 13 cantons; the city itself is divided into three cantons. It is also the capital of the Pays d'Auge.


Lisieux is situated on the River Touques about 30 km south of the Seine estuary. In the urban area of Orbiquet opens as a right tributary to the Touques.

Lisieux has a station on the railway line between Paris and Cherbourg; the journey time to Paris Gare Saint -Lazare is one hour and forty minutes.


The city was already mentioned in Roman times as Noviomagus Lexoviorum. From the Middle Ages to the Revolution Lisieux was dominated by the powerful Earl Bishop, who made their city into a thriving metropolis. In the 19th century, it gradually lost its first religious, then its economic importance.

In the 20th century Lisieux gained new importance. The city was the seat of a Carmelite place of pilgrimage which is known under the name Therese of the Child Jesus, owes its fame to the nun Thérèse Martin. After her death in 1897, the devotion to the Carmelite nun who was beatified in 1923 and canonized in 1925 spread. Your dedicated to the 1929 Built to 1954 ( initiation) in the Romanesque Revival style church here. After Lourdes, the city is the second largest pilgrimage site in France with nearly a half million pilgrims and visitors every year.

After the destruction caused by Allied air raids of 6 -8. June 1944, the city was rebuilt in the style of the 1950s.


  • Basilica of Ste. Thérèse: one of the largest churches that were built in the 20th century
  • Chapelle du Carmel
  • St. Peter's Cathedral: built 1170-1250, Romanesque / Gothic, South Tower from the 16th century
  • Half-timbered houses and mansions
  • Jardin Archaeological
  • Jardin de l' Evéché: designed by André Le Nôtre, the architect of the park of the Palace of Versailles Park in the center of Lisieux, next to the Cathedral
  • Castle Saint- Germain -de- Livet: from the 15th/16th. Century, since 1958 owned by the city
  • Jardin de l' Abbé Marie: Park in a former cemetery grounds
  • Le Musée d'Art et d' Histoire: the Museum of Art and History has archaeological, ethnological and iconographic exhibition pieces, 38 boulevard Pasteur
  • Le Domaine Saint Hippolyte: stately home from the 15th/16th. Century, 3 km south of Lisieux
  • Le Château du Pré d'Auge: with Saint Méen Church and fountain


Lisieux is connected by a twinned with the English town of Taunton in the county of Somerset.

Friendly contacts are made to the German Wesel on the Lower Rhine.