History and catchment area of the Seine
The Seine [ sɛn ] (Latin / Celtic Sequana ) is a river in Northern France. It originates in Burgundy, flows from east to west and empties into the English Channel at Le Havre. With 777 kilometers in length, it is next to the Loire (1004 km) and the merging flow curves of Doubs, Saône and Rhône ( total 1025 km ) one of the longest rivers in France. The catchment area of 78,650 km ² of Seine encompassed about.
Important cities along the Seine Paris, Troyes and Rouen. In Paris and Rouen are the most important inland ports in France. About the channels with His Scheldt, Meuse, Rhine, Saône and Loire is connected. In the lower reaches of the river in the area of Normandy exceptionally large Talschleifen have formed a river of water management. The navigable length (up to Nogent -sur- Seine) is 560 km. Seagoing vessels could sail the river to Rouen (120 km inland ).
The banks of the Seine in Paris is on the list of world cultural heritage by UNESCO.
Sources of the Seine
The source of the Seine is located on the plateau of Langres, 30 km north- west of Dijon in the Côte-d'Or department in Burgundy, 470 m above sea level. A special feature is that the sources of the Seine since 1864 owned by the city of Paris are. An artificial cave was built a year later to protect the primary source, and the statue of a nymph set up, which is meant to symbolize the river. The capital has now lost interest in the plot and they returned to the Burgundy region. Near the source are remains of a Gallo - Roman temple, in which a Dea Sequana was worshiped (Latin goddess of the Seine ) and its archaeological remains now in the Archaeological Museum of Dijon.
The valley of the Seine
The Seine Valley with its low gradient and the many meanders is known for its many castles ("His locks "), but also present there, automotive, petrochemical and several power plants.
Islands in the Seine
Islands in the river are within Paris Ile Saint -Louis, Ile de la Cité (and nucleation ) and Ile aux Cygnes, further downstream Ile Saint- Germain, Ile Seguin ( with the Renault plant 1919-1992 ), Ile de la Jatte in Neuilly -sur -Seine, Ile Saint -Denis ( with the Municipality of L' Île -Saint -Denis ), Ile des Impressionnistes (or Ile de Chatou ), Ile aux Dames, Ile l' Aumône.
Water Management and Ecological
Surface waters of the Seine is used for the Paris water supply. The wastewater from the Paris region are fed by their purification of the Seine and flow through Rouen and Le Havre in the English Channel. The Seine is brown in winter, as it passes 400 km long on agricultural land. In the summer it is colored by algae green. Until the mid-19th century the Parisian effluents were passed still unsettled in the river. From about 1850 they were led out in sewers of the city and its downstream into the river. Then you went on to not conduct the waste water directly into the Seine, but to use as fertilizer on fields. Sewage treatment plants were built from the mid-20th century. Compared to 1850, when the Seine was a stinking cesspool, the water quality has improved significantly. Today, living in the Seine again 33 fish species, including salmon and trout.
Three major bridges across the wide river valley in the mouth region: The Brotonne bridge, the bridge of Tancarville and the Pont de Normandie. The latter was for a time the longest bridge in Europe. The Seine flows between Le Havre and Honfleur and maps Tancarville a langgezogenenes estuary. This is spanned by the Pont de Normandie. In 1997, a 8,528 -hectare area was declared a nature reserve. Reed beds, sand dunes, sand banks and wetlands provide habitat for over 250 species of birds. An information center on the northern bridgehead offers Naturkundliches a nature reserve and a monitoring station.
After her execution in 1431 at the stake in Rouen the ashes of Joan of Arc was scattered in the Seine to prevent a cult of relics. 1790 drowned the Czech composer Jean -Baptiste Krumpholz in the Seine, as it was previously abandoned by his wife, Anne -Marie ( 1755-1824 ) for the Bohemian composer Jan Ladislav Dusík.
His was also the name of a French department, which in 1968 was divided into four departments: Paris (75), Hauts -de -Seine (92 ), Seine- Saint- Denis (93) and Val -de- Marne (94). The atomic number of 75, which belonged to the department of Seine, Paris remained obtained, whereby the former alphabetical order of the department, however, was injured.
After severe winters in the years 1197, 1325/26, 1708/ 09 there were floods in Paris, were destroyed when the plague broke out and bridges. The recent severe flooding occurred in January 1910, then in Paris were twelve of the 20 arrondissements of six weeks under flood.