Norbert Pohlmann ( born March 20, 1960 in Ratingen ) is a German computer scientist and professor at the University of Westphalia, Gelsenkirchen.
After training as a power plant electrician Pohlmann acquired in 1981 from the Technical School of Electrical access to the technical college and studied from 1981 to 1985 electrical engineering with a focus on computer science at the FH Aachen. He completed his studies as a graduate engineer. Subsequently, he was until 1988 a research engineer and later became head of the Laboratory of Telematics at the FH Aachen. From 1988 to 1999, Norbert Pohlmann, managing partner of the firm KryptoKom, Society for cryptographic information security and communication technology ltd. After the merger of KryptoKom with Utimaco Safeware he was from 1999 to 2003 Member of the Board of Utimaco Safeware AG. From 1997 to 2001 he completed his doctoral studies at the Technical University of Nizhny Novgorod / Russia (NRW project). The dissertation topic was Capabilities and Limitations of firewall system. He obtained the PhD candidate of technical science ( Dr. (TU NN ) ) as termination.
Norbert Pohlmann is a professor of computer science since 2003, Distributed Systems and Information Security in the Department of computer science and director of the Institute for Internet Security at the Westfälische Hochschule.
Since April 1997, Pohlmann is the CEO of the IT security association TeleTrusT who has made the establishment of trusted IT systems to the task. He is co-founder and chairman of the program committee of the Information Security Solutions Europe Conference ( ISSE ), which takes place annually in different European cities. In addition, Pohlmann is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the GDD ( Association for Data Protection and Data Security ) and member of the Advisory Board of the ECO - association ( Association of the German Internet Industry ). Previously, he was 5 years a member of the Permanent Stakeholders ' Group of ENISA (European Network and Information Security Agency ), the security agency of the European Community.
In April 2013 Pohlmann took the place of a Visiting Professor at Stanford University for one semester.
Awards and honors
- Rudolf Thoma Prize of the Association of German Electrical Engineers ( VDE) Aachen for the best graduation of the class of 1985
- In 1997, the city of Aachen Award for Innovation and Technology in 1997 for scientific and entrepreneurial achievements
- 2011 Professor of the Year, selected by the student magazine Unicum
- Firewall systems - Security for Internet and Intranet, e- mail security, virtual private network, intrusion detection system, personal firewalls. MITP -Verlag, Bonn 2003, ISBN 3-8266-0988-3.
- Firewall Architecture for the Enterprise. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, 2002, ISBN 076454926X.
- Virtual Private Network ( VPN). MITP -Verlag, Bonn 2003, ISBN 3-8266-0882-8.
- The IT Security Guide. MITP -Verlag, Bonn 2006, ISBN 3-8266-1635-9.
- Stay safe online: Tips and tricks for the digital life. Orell Füssli, Zurich 2010, ISBN 978-3-280-05381-2.