Parikkala [ pɑrik ɑlɑ ː ] is a municipality in eastern Finland with 5589 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). It is the northernmost municipality in the landscape of South Karelia. In the north Parikkala borders Kitee, to the west and south of Savonlinna Rautjärvi. In the east the state border with Russia. Geographically and climatically Parikkala belongs to the catchment area of 35 km away Lake Ladoga in the Russian part of Karelia. Today's church was built in early 2005 by the merger of the municipalities Parikkala, Saari and Uukuniemi.
The center of the municipality is the village Kangaskylä with around 2000 inhabitants. Other villages are Kirjavala - Kesusmaa (500 inhabitants), Koitsanlahti (230 inhabitants), Kummunkylä, Melkoniemi (250 inhabitants), Mikkolanniemi (100 inhabitants), Saarenkylä (110 inhabitants), Savikumpu (200 inhabitants), Tarnala (200 inhabitants) and Kanna (200 inhabitants). The attractions of Parikkala include the wooden churches of Parikkala (1817 ) and Uukuniemi (1797 ) and the brick church of Saari (1934 ). At the Orthodox heritage of the area reminds a chapel ( tsasouna ) and the archaeological excavations of an orthodox village from the 15th - 17th Century in Papinniemi.
Parikkala has always been throughout its history on the border between West and East. In the Middle Ages belonged to the area of Parikkala the sphere of influence of Novgorod, the inhabitants were Orthodox. The 1323 established by the Treaty of Nöteborg border between Sweden and Novgorod was near. 1617 came Parikkala the Peace of Stolbovo under Swedish rule. The new rulers established a Lutheran church. In the following years the Orthodox population was subjected to repression; part converted to the Lutheran faith, part emigrated to Tver and Olonets from. In the Peace of Nystad came Parikkala 1721 to Russia. When in 1809 the whole of Finland came under Russian rule, Parikkala was annexed along with the rest Altfinnlands to the newly formed Grand Duchy of Finland. So it was in 1917 part of the independent Republic of Finland. When, after the Second World War East Karelia Finland was forced to cede to the Soviet Union, about a third of its territory was separated by the new border.
The Church of Uukuniemi
Sons and daughters
- Hannu Siitonen (* 1949), javelin throwers and European champion
- Sirpa Pietikäinen (* 1959), politician of the National Coalition Party, Minister
- Kirsi Boström ( born Tiira; * 1968 ), orienteer and World Champion