Quatsino First Nation

The Quatsino First Nation or Quatsino is one of the First Nations on Vancouver Iceland in the Canadian province of British Columbia. Under this name five strains are summarized, namely the Giopino, Hoyalas, Klas cinema, Koskimo and Quatsino. After the Aboriginal Canada Portal, there are 384 Quatsino, living in 70 houses, with most living in Quatsino Subdivision 18. This main reserve is located east of Coal Harbour.

This place is the only settlement in Quatsino Sound. All contract negotiations, the tribe is represented along with three other tribes by the Treaty Winalagalis Group of the Kwakwaka'wakw. The failure to fulfill group include, apart from the Quatsino Da'naxda'xw Awaetlatla nation that Gwa'Sala - Nakwaxda'xw nation and the Tlatlasikwala nation.


The common origin of the five strains Xwatis. From there, however, they were forcibly relocated in 1972. At the end of the 18th century Koskimo took over the territory of Hoyalas tribe and were the dominant tribe on the Quatsino Sound.

The first encounter with whites took place probably in 1868, when the Royal Navy ship HMS Scout the Governor went around the entire Vancouver Island. But blankets are earlier here probably emerged from the fundus of the Hudson's Bay Company.

1881 and 1882 came the Norwegian Johan Adrian Jacobsen collectors on behalf of Adolf Bastian from the Berlin Museum of Ethnology to the Koskimo and Quatsino. He wandered from Tsaxis (Fort Rupert ) from together with George Hunt, a 26 -year-old interpreter with a Scottish father and mother Tlingit as guides and translators, by the Quatsino area. Negetze, the chief of Koskimo, and his daughter-in- chief of the Quatsino, the Norwegians took on friendly. For his part he robbed a pretext the skulls of ancestors. But he also bought from the younger Negetze, known as Wacas, some cedar wood fiber ceiling and ceiling of mountain goats. To spend the couple and some others after Berlin His attempt failed, however, to the justified distrust of the tribe. 1885 were counted 185 Koskimo in 18 longhouses in Xwatis.

At the direction of the Indian Reserve Commissioner the Quatsino reserves were assigned, among these, the most populated of Koskimo winter village in Xwatis that now " Quattishe Indian Reserve no. 1 " was.

When the Koskimo 1894 were invited by the Kwakiutl to a winter Potlatch after Tsaxis (Fort Rupert ) together with the ' Nakwaxda'xw, this ceremony of Franz Boas was documented. Both Boaz and Jacobsen methods by which they acquired the "art objects", are very controversial today.

Starting 1884, the land was sold on a large scale of whiteness, such as to Norwegian settlers, a colony called " Scandia " built on the site of Quatsino - village, in the immediate vicinity of the Quattishe Indian Reserve. Scandia was later Quatsino, and also the first school in the Quatsino Sound was built. But children of the First Nations were not allowed here. Built in 1897, The Anglican Church of St. Olaf's is the oldest surviving building in the north. 1889 Old Quatsino Village Sipaya was ( winter haven ) as Grass Point Indian Reserve No.. 13 is established. There, in 1901, 25 people lived in 9 houses.

In 1911 there were in the Quatsino Sound still 72 Indians, 20 of Quatsino. In 1929 she presented another 10 of 49 At the same time, the number of other Kwakwala speaking Indians went back so that you explained the Giopino, Hoyalas and class cinema extinct. The Giopino came from an area in the northern Quatsino Sound. When the Quatsino came here, the Giopino were forced into Koskimo area. They left only the piles of their longhouses, which stood until 1950. The trunk itself died out around 1935.

On the former Indian lands Coal Harbour, Holberg, Port Alice, Quatsino and Winter Harbour were established. In Coal Harbour you tried with little success to reduce carbon. Then he was transferred to up to 1967 whaling in the 1970s to 1996 yielded a copper mine. Holberg was founded by Danish settlers, named after Baron Ludwig Holberg. The vast forests of the North, with its giant Sitka spruce have been almost completely deforested. 1897 founded the Danes Cape Scott at the site of an ancient village of Nakomgilisala tribe. But the destruction of forests was not all. The mills, paper mills and pulp mills, mainly around the port was founded in 1917 Alice, poison until today the Quatsino Sound with a dangerous cocktail of chemicals. This is especially true for the Nerotsos Inlet.

The last area Klashkish ( Tl'ásk'inuxw ) was cut in the traditional territory of the class cinema. Their traditional tribal territory covered the area between the Brooks Peninsula ( Cape Cook) to a line about 10 km south of Quatsino Sound. It included Klashkish and the class cinema Inlet one with its drainage area. Already in 1888 there were only 13 class cinema. You were assigned in 1889 three small reservations in 1914 were drafted two of them. Since 1940, the tribe considered extinct.

Even the fact that the government and timber companies to take care of their image declare their willingness to consult with the rest of strains that deforestation keeps on hardly. Wind turbines for electricity production are readily enforceable in the face of climate change, copper mines are virtually unstoppable, because the world market prices for this metal know no bounds. Even more threatening to the coastal landscape is the increasing intervention in marine biology by fish farms, as these are for the wild salmon stocks a great danger.

Today, Fran Hunt - Jinnouchi chief of the Quatsino. Today, it is the first director of the new Office of Indigenous Affairs at the University of Victoria.

2007, a fast Internet connection has been set up in Quatsino, benefit from the Quatsino. Whether the Quatsino Museum, which opened its doors in the summer of 2007, just after old known pattern represents the " conquest history " of the region, remains to be seen.


Today's reserves are Ah -we- cha -ol -to 16 ( 29.9 ha), Cayilth 5 (4.7 ha), 6 Cayuse (38 ha), Clatux 9 ( 29.5 ha), Clienna 14 (20, 2 ha), Grass Point 13 ( 3.4 ha), Klaskish 3 (5.1 ha), Kultah 4 ( 16.6 ha), Mah -te- no 8 ( 15.8 ha), Maquazneecht Iceland 17 ( 2.6 ha ), O- ya- kum- la 11 ( 66.8 ha), Pa - cat'l -lin - ne 3 (3.6 ha), Pulcah 15 ( 1.2 ha), Quatleyo 12 ( 2.4 ha), Quatsino Precinct 18 (8.1 ha), Quattishe 1 ( 93.8 ha), Teeta 7 (3.8 ha), Telaise 1 ( 20.6 ha), Toh -quo eCJ 2 ( 0.6 ha) and Tsowenachs 2 ( 21.2 ha).