Quadra Island

Template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / image missing template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / surface missing template: Infobox Island / Maintenance / height missing

Quadra Iceland is an island that lies between Vancouver Iceland and the mainland of British Columbia in Canada. It is the largest island among the Discovery Islands and is separated from Vancouver Iceland by the Discovery Passage and the neighboring Cortes Iceland by the Sutil Channel. You can reach the island (via Quathiaski Cove ) with a ferry in the BC Ferries from Campbell River.

2006 lived on the island in 2472 people that were 76 fewer than in 2001. Since the number of Indians, specifically the Kwa ' Kwa ' Ka ' Wa'Kw First Nation, which in turn belong to the Kwakwaka'wakw, is determined separately, it is not included in the population figures.

They are referred by the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development as Cape Mudge and live in five reserves in the south of the island with a total area of ​​about 660 ha These are Cape Mudge 10 ( with an area of ​​444.6 ha), Drew Harbour 9 (94 ha), Open Bay 8 (3.7 ha), Quinsam 12 ( 116.3 ha) and Village Bay 7 ( 4.5 ha).

For First Nation were in January 2010, exactly 935 recognized Indians, of whom 336 were living in their own reserves. In May 2011 there were already 976, of whom 341 lived on the reserve.

The island was named in 1903 by the Geographic Board of Canada after Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra, who represented the Spanish colonial interests end of the 18th century.


1792 reached the Briton George Vancouver was the first European with his ships HMS Discovery and HMS Chatham the region. Vancouver met in the region north of the island on the southernmost of the Kwakwaka'wakw tribes, the Lekwiltok. On Quadra Iceland, the first contact at a place called Tsa -Kwa - Luten took place, which means meeting place. Lived here until about 1841 Coast Salish. As 1859, the HMS Plumper mapped the islands under Captain George Henry Richards, she faced a Kwakwaka'wakw group, which had brought the area by European guns under their rule. This was at the We- Wai- Kai of Cape Mudge and the Wei Wai Kum from Campbell River who ruled the islands. Added to this were the Walatsama of Salmon River and the Kwiakah the Philips arm.

1884-1951 the Potlatch celebrations were banned, many cultural relics were burned, many forcibly sold. 1921 organized by Dan Crammer on Village Iceland a potlatch. 1922 threatened the Indian Agent William Halliday participants in the Crammer - Potlatch prison sentences, unless they provided some of the cult objects. The Lekwiltok Quadra Iceland, but also the mom Lilli Kulla of Iceland and the Village of Alert Bay Nimkish agreed to agree. Halliday collected the used in the dances of objects, such as masks, and let her exhibit in the church of Alert Bay. For $ 291, he sold 35 of these objects to the American collector George Heye. This, however, he acted himself a reprimand from his superiors, as he had sold the valuable objects in the United States. 21 participants of the potlatch not declared with the "business" agree and have been to jail, locked in the Oakalla Prison in Burnaby. 20 of them were sentenced to two months in prison, the Nimkish Charlie Hunt, who had taken part in a ceremony for the second time, was given six months.

The indigenous population was forced into reservations, the children subject to compulsory education, which meant a forced stay in remote boarding schools for them, and were not allowed to use their mother tongue. Therefore today speak only about 40, mostly elderly, the original language, most speak only English.


Near the pier for ferries is one of the settlements, namely Quathiaski Cove, another on Cortes Iceland ferry terminal in Heriot Bay. There is an elementary school, a kind of elementary school on the island, but have the older students go ( grade 7-12 ) to Campbell River in the École Phoenix Middle School or the Carihi Secondary School.

Museum and Cultural Center

In Cape Mudge the Kwagiulth Museum and Cultural Centre, today Nuyumbalees Cultural Centre was built. Nuyumbalees means the beginning, which refers to the fact that the kidnapped by ethnologists and art dealers cultural treasures have been returned here. This center was prepared by the Nuyumbalees Society founded by the traditional chief in 1975. They negotiated with several museums, including the National Museum of Man in Ottawa, the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto and the National Museum of the American Indian in New York, the return of ceremonial objects, especially important for the Potlatch. In addition, the ceremonial objects of the chiefs came ( Regalia ). After the establishment of the center and training for the storage, preservation and exhibition powers, and the museum was opened in February 1979. After renovation work took place in 2007, the reopening.