Technion â€“ Israel Institute of Technology
Template: Infobox college / staff missing template: Infobox university / professors missing
The Technion (Hebrew הטכניון - מכון טכנולוגי לישראל, ha'technion - machon technological le'israel; Arab التخنيون, English Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, initially referred to as pilot ), the Technical University of Israel and has its headquarters in Haifa. It was founded in 1924.
The campus of the Technion is located on the northeastern outskirts of Haifa. He was selected in the early fifties by Prime Minister David Ben Gurion and has a size of 1.325 km ², of which one third (about 0.438 km ²) is built with 85 buildings. In the halls of residence on campus 4,000 students can live.
The Faculty of Medicine is not on campus, but in the district of Bat Galim, near the Rambam Hospital.
At the Technion studied in 2004 a total of 13,300 students at 600 lecturers.
After Paul Nathan, the director of " Aid Association of German Jews ", had decided in 1908 after a trip to explore a suitable place to set up a technical university, against Jerusalem and Haifa, the Relief Association, 1909 Alex Baerwald commissioned a high school building for the Technion to build. The sandstone building (now the Science Museum ) with the oriental acting main facade was created as part of the coastline is oriented toward the ensemble, which also includes the Hebrew grammar school belongs. The former main building was built in 1912, remained unfinished by the First World War and then served as a hospital.
The Aid Society had gone out of German as a language of instruction, but Zionist circles were able to prevail Hebrew. German was still a dominant language in science and technology. Many of the professors came from Germany and wanted to teach in their native language. At the beginning of the 1920s, but then Hebrew had become established as the language of instruction.
In 1923, the German Committee for the Technical Institute in Haifa, so today's German Technion Society, founded as the first company to promote scientific connections of the respective country to Technion. After a long delay, caused by the First World War, the Technion started operation in 1924. The first class consisted of 16 students ( including one woman ) in the subjects of Civil Engineering and Architecture, where Baerwald taught.
In the 1930s, the Technion recorded numerous Jewish students and scholars who fled from Germany and neighboring countries from the Nazis. 1934, the Faculty of Industrial Technology was opened, which was later split into several independent faculties. End of the 30s over 400 students were enrolled at the Technion.
In 1948, when the state of Israel was founded, the Technion had 680 students. 1948 and 1949 the Departments of Electrical, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering were established. The latter was later renamed Faculty of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
When the original campus in the center of Haifa was too small, the then Prime Minister David Ben Gurion chose a 1,325 -square-kilometer area from the outskirts of Haifa for the new campus. The Technion started in 1953 to move to the new campus. In the fifties, the faculties of agricultural engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, industrial engineering and management as well as General Studies were established.
In the 1960s, a further eight schools were founded, including the Faculty of computer science and the Faculty of Medicine. In 1969, the Technion campus synagogue Ohel Aharon. In 1970, as the youngest faculty, founded the Faculty of Biology.
The Technion has a total of 19 faculties (in brackets the year of foundation of the Faculty ):
- General Studies (1958 )
- Architecture and Urban Planning (1924 )
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (1924 )
- Biology ( 1970)
- Biomedical Engineering ( 1969)
- Chemistry ( 1958)
- Chemical Engineering ( 1954)
- Electrical Engineering ( 1948)
- Computer science (1969 )
- Agricultural Engineering ( 1953)
- Aeronautics and Astronautics (1949 )
- Mechanical Engineering ( 1948)
- Materials Science (1967 )
- Mathematics ( 1960)
- Medicine ( 1969)
- Food and Biotechnology ( 1962)
- Science Education and Technology ( 1965)
- Physics ( 1960)
- Industrial Engineering and Management ( 1958)
In addition, the Technion has 40 research institutes.
Famous alumni and faculty
- Shai Agassi ( born 1968 ), IT entrepreneur, former President of the SAP development
- Alex Baerwald (1877-1930) late professor of architecture, founding member, painters and musicians
- Eli Biham, cryptographer, co-developer of differential cryptanalysis
- Avram Hershko ( * 1937 ) and Prof. Aaron Ciechanover (* 1947), professors at the Faculty of Medicine, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry 2004
- Abraham Lempel (* 1936) ( computer science professor emeritus ) and Professor Jacob Ziv (* 1931) ( Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering), inventor of the LZW algorithm for lossless data compression
- Daniel M. Lewin (1970-2001), computer scientist and founder of the company Akamai
- Yuval Ne'eman (1925-2006), Israeli physicist and politician - classification of hadrons by a SU (3 ) symmetry
- Judea Pearl ( * 1936), computer scientist and Turing Award winners
- Amir Pnueli (1941-2009), computer scientist and Turing Award winners
- Daniel Shechtman ( b. 1941 ), Israeli physicist, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry 2011
- Zeev and Andi Gutmans Suraski, developer of PHP and founder of the company, Zend Technologies
- Arieh Warshel ( born 1940 ), Israeli- American chemist Nobel Laureate in Chemistry 2013
- See also Category: High school teacher ( Technion, Haifa)