World Confederation of Billiard Sports
The World Confederation of Billiard Sports ( WCBS ) is the world governing body for all areas of the billiard sport.
The WCBS directed no world championships or are usually works out, it is the exclusive responsibility of their affiliated organizations. Instead, they fight for the inclusion of the billiard sport in the program of major international sports events. The stated long-term goal of WCBS is to establish Billiards as an Olympic sport.
Before the foundation of WCBS in 1992, there was no organization exists for the three main disciplines of Billiards Sports ( carom, pool table & Snooker ). Although already in the 1950s, the first attempts were made to establish Billiards as an Olympic sport, not enough pool the then guidelines of the IOC.
In 1985, the Swiss André Gagnaux new President of UMB, the Association for carom. He tried together with the leaders of the then Snooker Association WPBSA a new governing body for the sports of billiards to establish ( an association for pool table did not exist at that time). However, this project failed for the time being the resistance of the WPBSA.
After 1988, however, with the WPA a federation was founded for snooker, the representatives of the three organizations met for the first time in August 1990 in Bristol, England, with the aim of establishing a billiard World Association. As a result, in January 1992 in Yverdon- les- Baines ( Switzerland ), the World Confederation of Billiard Sports ( WCBS ) was founded. There was a board composed of nine members, each of the three organizations each had three members. Its first president was André Gagnaux.
In July 1996, came the provisional, in 1998, the final shot of billiards in the Olympic family by the IOC. Since 2001, Billiards is part of the World Games.
The following organizations, which are responsible for different parts of the billiard sports, are currently under the WCBS directly:
- IBSF (International Billiards & Snooker Federation)
- WPBSA ( World Professional Billiards & Snooker Association )
- WPA ( World Pool - Billiard Association )
- UMB ( Union Mondiale de Billard )
The following associations are subject to the WCBS in second instance.
- CEB ( Confédération Européenne de Billard )
- ACBC (Asian Carom Billiard Confederation )
- CPB ( Confederación Panamericana de Billar )
The current committee consists of the following members:
- President Emeritus: Jorgen Sandman Sweden
- President: Jean -Claude Dupont Belgium
- General Secretary: Mohammed Kammah Egypt
- Vice President: Farouk El Barki Egypt, Pascal Guillaume France
- Treasurer: Ian Anderson Australia
- Board members: Wolfgang Rittmann Germany, Dr Hamish McInnes England, Jim McMahon England, Michael Peachey Australia, Thomas Overbeck Germany