The Thanon Yaowarat ( Thai: ถนน เยาวราช - Engl: Yaowarat Road, German as: "Road of the young crown prince " ) is a street in the district Samphanthawong of Bangkok, capital of Thailand.
The Thanon Yaowarat is about 1.5 kilometers long. It starts at the Odeon Circle, ending at the Phanuphan Bridge on the outskirts of Phahurat, the market district of the ethnic Indian population.
The area of Samphanthawong is inhabited by Chinese people since the founding of Bangkok. Before Bangkok in 1782 the capital of the Siamese empire was ( during the so-called Rattanakosin period ), lived a Chinese community on the site of today's Grand Palace. They were "asked" by King Phra Phutthayotfa Chulaloke ( Rama I ) friendly to relocate their businesses, in the "Gardens ", a then uninhabited area outside the city, which is known as Sampheng today. The narrow Sampheng Alley ( สำ เพ็ง, ถนน วานิช 1 called Thanon Wanit today, has long been the main thoroughfare of the Chinese Quarter, " with a maze of narrow streets and nested buildings, as was common in the Middle Kingdom ." She was at that time also a notorious red-light district, where brothel -ranked brothel. the Chinese prostitutes had allegedly set all the surname Kim. Nowadays, above all cheap household goods, plastic toys, fabrics and textile goods and memorabilia will be sold for the locals. the alley is so narrow that the goods must be hauled on the back, vehicles do not come in here.
In 1863, then came at the insistence of many foreigners Bangkok added the paved New Road ( Thanon Charoen Krung ). After a devastating fire in 1891 allowed King Chulalongkorn ( Rama V ) to build a third thoroughfare of Yaowarat Road, the course of which he einzeichnete on a map personally. Because of the dense development took the construction of the road until 1899. Due to a misunderstanding between the Chinese and the authorities, the road winds today as a dragon through the district, a Chinese symbol, the prosperity of the area is attributed.
During the reign of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI. ) The Yaowarat area for entertainment center of Bangkok was. The first six - to nine -story " skyscraper " with cinemas, hotels, brothels and opium dens - which were not illegal at the time - were built. It was considered en- vogue to go to Yaowarat for dinner. The seven-story " Chinatown Hotel " and the nine-story " New Hotel " still stand today.
Until the 1960s, a tram line led by the Thanon Yaowarat. The attentive visitor can still find in some places the red triangles on the roadside, which were the tram stops.
Today the Yaowarat is not only a thriving business area in which, for example, most gold shops in Bangkok can be found, as well as a center for gourmets, since numerous Resztaurants offer Chinese and local specialties. Numerous food stalls are open but only after sitting by the roadside and in the winding side streets of Yaowarat.
- Wat Traimit near the Odeon Circle, the beginning of Thanon Yaowarat.
- Wat Chai Chana Songkhram
- Talat Kao (Old Market ) - the 100- year-old market in the Issaranuphap Lane is known for its fresh and preserved foods that are still shopped daily by the chefs of the specialty restaurants. Directly opposite the Talat Soon ( New Market ), which, however, has a similar offer.
- Nakhon Kasem Centre - a small neighborhood between the Thanon Yaowarat and Charoen Krung Thanon, were sold in the earlier things that " fell off the truck " were - hence the name " Thieves Market ". Today there are here with antique shops and shops for musical instruments still known book stores and shops for agricultural machinery.
Impressions from Thanon Yaowarat
Entrance to " Nakhon Kasem Center"