The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL -CIO ) is the largest membership of any trade union federation of the United States and Canada.
He has 57 national and international member organizations, which together 11.5 million (as at 30 June 2012) Organized represented. He is member of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions.
In 1935, the CIO had split off ( Congress of Industrial Organizations) of the AFL (American Federation of Labor ). In 1955, both reunited for the AFL- CIO.
Until 2005 he worked in practice as a central governing body. Internal disagreements led to the July / August 2005 many unions ( including the services union SEIU is the largest single union ) leaked and formed up under a new umbrella organization " Change to Win ".
The President of the AFL -CIO were:
In the AFL-CIO unions are represented the following 57:
- Air Line Pilots Association ( ALPA )
- American Federation of Government Employees ( AFGE )
- American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada (AFM )
- American Federation of School Administrators ( AFSA )
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees ( AFSCME )
- American Federation of Teachers ( AFT)
- American Postal Workers Union ( APWU )
- American Train Dispatchers Association ( ATDA )
- Associated Actors and Artistes of America ( 4As ) Actors' Equity Association ( AEA)
- American Guild of Musical Artists ( AGMA )
- American Guild of Variety Artists ( AGVA )
- The Guild of Italian American Actors ( GIAA )
- Association of Flight Attendants (AFA - CWA)
- Industrial Union of Electronic Workers ( IUE - CWA)
- National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians ( NABET - CWA)
- The Newspaper Guild ( TNG - CWA)
- Printing, Publishing and Media Workers, CWA
- Professional Aviation Safety Specialists ( PASS)