Boulevard Saint-Michel

The 1380 meters long and 30 meters wide Boulevard Saint- Michel - or Boul ' Mich ', as it is colloquially called, - forms the boundary between the 5th and 6th arrondissement of Paris. It starts at the Place Saint -Michel and ends at the Avenue de l' Observatoire and the Place Ernest- Denis. He touched the Quartier du Val -de- Grâce and the Quartier de la Sorbonne in the 5th arrondissement ( arrondissement du Panthéon ), as well as the Quartier de la Monnaie and the Quartier de l' Odéon in the 6th arrondissement ( arrondissement du Luxembourg ).

Attractions in the course of the Boulevard Saint -Michel


To the south, viewed from the Pont Saint- Michel and the Place Saint -Michel, the left hand side of the Boulevard Saint -Michel is the border of the 5th arrondissement, the Latin Quarter, while the right side of the road for the 6th arrondissement of Paris, the Jardin du Luxembourg is one.

The Roman baths and the Hôtel de Cluny

Immediately after the junction with the Four Seasons Hotel is on the left, the old Gallo- Roman baths dating from the 1st to the 3rd century and the Hôtel de Cluny in the 15th century. Before the ruins of ancient Roman baths and the Hôtel (entrance from the Boulevard Saint- Germain ), a small publicly available " Medieval Garden " (Jardin médiéval ) was created in September 2000. Baths and Hôtel de Cluny are now in the Musée national du Moyen Âge (English: National Museum of the Middle Ages; complete French name: Musée national du Moyen Âge - Thermes et hôtel de Cluny ) to visit. The entrance to the museum is located on the Place Paul Painlevé.

The Sorbonne

After the junction with the Rue des Écoles begins on the left side of the building complex of La Sorbonne University in Paris. After about 150 meters you turn left from the Place de la Sorbonne. From here there is a beautiful view of the church building of the university.

The Panthéon

The nearest major intersection is located at Place Edmond Rostand. On the left side of the Rue Soufflot begins her short climb to the Pantheon, the national hall of fame in France with the tombs of some of the most prominent French in the fields of politics, science and literature.

The Jardin du Luxembourg

Law of the Place Edmond Rostand is the Jardin du Luxembourg. The park also houses beside its spacious green areas with the Palais du Luxembourg also the seat of the French Senate.

The École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris

Behind the access to the Jardin du Luxembourg rises on the right side of the building of the École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris ( ENSMP ). The counting of the 200 French grandes écoles mining high school is one of the major French engineering schools and was 1783 on adoption of King Louis XVI. founded.

Road history

The first part of the boulevard to Rue Cujas was completed as part of the extensive redesign of Paris under Baron Haussmann on 11 August 1855. Four years later, on July 30, 1859, the works were completed, which gave its present course of the road.

The original name was the Boulevard de Sebastopol - Rive Gauche. Its present name, the Bridge over the River Seine, the Pont Saint- Michel, indicating at which it begins, he received on 26 February 1867.

During construction of the Boulevard Saint -Michel were numerous medieval streets and squares of the old Quartier de Saint- Séverin, who had their origins in the 12th century greatly changed:

  • A part of the Place du Pont -Saint -Michel
  • The Rue de la Harpe, between Boulevard Saint- Germain and the Place Edmond Rostand -
  • The Rue d' Enfer, between the Place Edmond Rostand, and the Rue de l' Abbé -de- l'Épée
  • Rue de l'Est, between the Rue August Comte and the Boulevard du Montparnasse
  • Rue serpente with the Collège de Tours

Completely disappeared in the course of construction are:

  • Rue Mâcon ( former name: Rue de la Grande- Rue de la Boucherie and Vieille- Boucherie ) with the old Parisian aristocratic residence of the Dukes of Mâcon from the 12th century
  • Rue Poupée ( former name: Rue Lias, Rue Laas, Rue Popee and Rue Pompée )
  • Rue Percée ( a relic of the old road is today's Impasse Hautefeuille )
  • Rue des Deux Portes Saint- André ( today is the street layout of the Boulevard Saint- Germain )
  • The Passage d' Harcourt
  • Rue Neuve de Richelieu

On the old buildings Baron Haussmann has often taken no great consideration when planning his new boulevards. Houses that were his new wide avenues in the way, were often unceremoniously demolished.


The adjoining the Its northern part of the Boulevard Saint -Michel is now one of the most popular and therefore the busiest shopping streets in Paris. There are especially bookstores, clothing, footwear and comic shops, many cafes and cinemas. The St. Michael Fountain ( Fontaine Saint -Michel ) on the Place Saint -Michel is a popular meeting place for young people from all over the world. The approximately 700 meters to the south beginning Jardin du Luxembourg is equipped with numerous chairs and benches a popular green area in the city center. Under the road is the metro station Saint -Michel.