Canal de Bourbourg

Bascule bridge spanning the canal in the city Bourbourg

The Canal de Bourbourg is a French Ship Canal, which runs in the Nord -Pas -de- Calais Nord.


The canal connects the river Aa with the port facilities of Dunkirk. Is a connecting channel with a minimum height difference of about four meters.

Development and technical infrastructure

He starts at the village of Le Guindal, community Bourbourg, where he has connection to the channeled Aa. The channel runs at first towards the east, crosses the city Bourbourg and reaches Coppenaxfort (municipality Craywick ) the Dérivation du Canal de la Haute- Colme that are part of the large shipping lane Dunkirk -Scheldt today (fr: Liaison à grand gabarit Dunkerque -Escaut ) is. The Canal de Bourbourg now runs to northeast and is about two kilometers themselves part of this shipping lane. However, the branches then to the north and performs under the name Dérivation du Canal de Bourbourg (also called Canal de Mardyck ) to the harbor basin Mardyck in the west of Dunkirk. The Canal de Bourbourg itself but runs through the southern suburbs of Greater Dunkirk, then turns sharply to the north and empties into the sea routes in the main harbor of Dunkirk, near the mouth of the Canal de Bergues. He is about 21 km long and has 3 locks. Its route can be divided into the following sections:

  • Western section, between the valley of the Aa and the Großschifffahrtsweg Dunkirk -Scheldt
  • Middle section, as part of the commercial shipping route Dunkirk -Scheldt
  • Eastern section, between Spycker and the port of Dunkirk


  • Source of the canal: 50 ° 56 ' 15 " N, 2 ° 9' 4" O50.93752.1511111111111Koordinaten: 50 ° 56 ' 15 " N, 2 ° 9' 4" O
  • Endpoint of the channel: 51 ° 1 ' 41 " N, 2 ° 21' 58 " O51.0280555555562.3661111111111

Places on the canal

  • Le Guindal, community Bourbourg
  • Bourbourg
  • Coppenaxfort, community Craywick
  • Spycker
  • Grande -Synthe
  • Capelle- la -Grande
  • Coudekerque industry
  • Dunkirk


The construction of the canal was decided by a decree of Louis XIV on 26 July in 1670. The work began in 1679, was designed by the architect of the channel and Vauban. The excavation of the trench is carried out of 30,000 males. The waterway was inaugurated in 1846.