Life and work
Emery's parents were Swiss, who had obtained Italian citizenship. After studying a degree in medicine, Emery was dedicated in 1872 the natural sciences, specializing in zoology. In 1878 he was appointed professor of zoology at the University of Cagliari and from 1881 until his retirement he held the chair of zoology at the University of Bologna held. Emery spoke several languages. He spoke and Italian, French, English, German and Spanish fluently wrote, but also knew other languages , including Russian. Emery was a talented artist who illustrated his own works. He has published numerous monographs, including the anatomy of snakes and visual perception in fish. Mainly, however, he wrote about ants, including 1901, the way Dinoponera longipes from Peru, which is one with a length of 3 cm of the largest ants in the world. Emery was an expert in the field of Hymenoptera ( Hymenoptera). In his earlier works he dealt mainly with beetles.
Between 1869 and 1925, Emery has published over 300 entomological work which primarily dealt with the aspects of the taxonomy, morphology and biogeography of Hymenoptera, especially ants. His research first descriptions include 130 species of ants, 1057 species and 265 subspecies. For the standard work of generations Insectorum Philogène Auguste Galilée Wytsman he wrote in 1921 and 1922, the sections on the ants. In addition to his scientific work, he wrote humorous provided with illustrations, animal poems, the 1905 book Zoologia Popolare ovvero: published La commedia bestiale.
During a stay in Bois -Bougy in Switzerland in 1906 Emery suffered a stroke, which led to the paralysis of the right half of the body. Due to the fact he learned in the subsequent period to write with your left hand and draw.
Emery Hautflüglersammlung is kept in the Museo di storia naturale Giacomo Doria in Genoa. His collection of beetles is located in the Museo Civico di zoologia di Roma.
After Carlo Emery inter alia the types Cardiocondyla emeryi, Cephalotes emeryi, Dorylus emeryi, Leptogenys emeryi, Melissotarsus emeryi, Mycetophylax emeryi, Tapinoma emeryanum, Temnothorax emeryi, Tetramorium emeryi, Tetraponera emeryi and the genus Emeryia are named.
- Studii anatomici sulla Vipera Redii, 1873
- La cornea dei pesci ossei, contribuzione alla morfologia dell'occhio dei vertebrati, 1878
- Flora and fauna of the Gulf of Naples and the adjacent sea areas, 1880
- Corso di zoologia Sistematica, by uso degli studenti delle università, 1884
- Contributions to the knowledge of the North American ant fauna, 1893
- The genus Dorylus Fab. And the systematic classification of the Formicidae, 1895
- La determinazione del sesso dal punto di vista biologico, 1904
- Hymenoptera. Fam Formicidae. Subfam. Ponerinae, 1911
- Hymenoptera, Formicidae Fam, subfam. Dolichoderinae, 1912
- Compendio di zoologia, 1911
- Formicidae of Italie, 1916
- Hymenoptera. Fam Formicidae. Subfam. Formicinae, 1925