Cavnic ( Kapnik German, Hungarian Kapnikbánya ) is a small mining town, 26 km east of Baia Mare in Maramureş County, northern Romania.
Cavnic is part of the Natural Park Munţii Gutai and is located on the eponymous river Cavnic at an altitude 550-1050 m.
Cavnic was mentioned in a Hungarian document in 1336 for the first time as Capnic. The city was named after the river whose name Kopane from the Slavic word, in German " dig ", derives. The mining activities in the area date back to the ancient Romans.
As a result of incursions by the Ottomans in 1460 and the Tatars in 1717 Cavnic was twice completely destroyed.
The town was for several hundred years under the name Kapnikbánya part of the Kingdom of Hungary and of Austria - Hungary. Until 1920, the city remained in Hungarian ownership, then it was given by the Treaty of Trianon in Romania.
Mines of Cavnic were often closed and then reopened, but the exact time of ore mining only of short duration. In the 1970s, the city experienced a boom due to the increasing tourism in the region. Since then, two ski trails were built many hotels and numerous cottages in the area around Cavnic.
- Roman Catholic Church Sfânta Varvara of 1812
- Stâlpul tătarilor, stone with a Latin inscription commemorating the Tartar invasion in 1717
- Sycamore with height of 30 m and a diameter of 1.32 m
- Logolda, Gold Mine of the 19th century
- Jenő Jendrassik (1824-1891), a Hungarian professor and philosopher
- Simon Papp (1886-1970), Hungarian geologist