Cellesche Zeitung

The Cellesche newspaper is a local newspaper with a circulation of 28 234 copies. It appears in the city and district of Celle Celle Schweiger & Pick publisher. Except for the outlying areas to the Hanover region, where the Hannover Allgemeine Zeitung is to relate the Cellesche newspaper has a monopoly in the local reporting.

The newspaper has, despite its small size still own full editorial, does that mean it produces not only the local section, but also the national political, economic and sports pages themselves

To date, keep the descendants of founder Ignaz Schweiger, the family Ernst Andreas Pfingsten, shares of the publisher. Formally, newspaper and publishing are indeed independent, but there are ownership links with the WAD bag -Verlag ( Hannover Allgemeine Zeitung) from the nearby Hanover. Since a sale Cellesche newspaper WAD bag, by far the largest newspaper group in Lower Saxony, for antitrust reasons has not been possible, took over the Hanoverians to Cellesche newspaper only a minority share of 24.8 percent. Further 25.2 per cent acquired the wife of the Deputy Managing Director and co-owner Madsack Karl Baedeker, Baedeker Brigitte, so Madsack is involved in the newspaper directly and indirectly, with a total of 50 percent.


The Cellesche newspaper was first published on 2 April 1817 Zellescher indicator along with contributions. The paper initially published only advertisements and supplementary sheets with entertaining and instructive topics. There was thus no current political newspaper but an intelligence leaf.

While the printing Schweiger & Pick the newspaper only printed in the first year, however, was the concession to run the newspaper in which Pastor Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Beneken, Schweiger & Pick took over the following year 1818 the concession for the editorial staff of the newspaper. In the hands of the Schweiger family and their descendants, the family Pentecost, the newspaper is today.

Regardless of in the first decades of existence, missing current reporting was introduced in the 1860s, an extension of the frequency of appearance: After 1861, the newspaper published three times, in 1866 four times a week. Since 1868, the importance of the current reporting increased by making more news from the city of Celle and the province of Hanover were printed. The newspaper turned so that a current reporting, which they use to developed into the present-day type of a daily newspaper. In 1869 it was renamed the Cellesche and newspaper ads (less than Cellesche newspaper from 1943). Since 1881, the newspaper published daily except Sundays and public holidays.

Like other German local newspapers is also the Cellesche newspaper traditionally closely linked to the notables of the city, which the newspaper secured the status of an official proclamation sheet for City and County of Celle since the 19th century. Unlike the directly competing social democratic Celler People's Daily - Daily Journal for the cause of the working population of the city of Celle, the districts of Celle, Uelzen, Gifhorn, Soltau, Isenhagen had the newspaper that supported Nazism strong, so do not close after the seizure of power in 1933, but got next to the published since 1932 Nazi Celler observers conceded extensive development opportunities:

1933, the foundation stone was laid for a new publishing house, in 1940 bought another (used) rotary press and in 1942 assumed the Lower Saxon People's Daily from Uelzen.

As of 1943, the Nazi publishers, given the wartime economy of scarcity in large parts of the German Reich were buying their civic rivals who Cellesche newspaper was merged with the Nazi Celler observers. The subtitle Celler observer Cellesche newspaper was published until the invasion of British troops on 11 April 1945 on. Then it was further issued from 15 April to 22 June 1945 under British occupation as a thin Notzeitung.

The National Socialist load of newspaper and publishing led to her publisher Ernst Pentecost was interned from September 1945 for nine months by the British military government. The publishing assets were placed under the control of the military government and the company a trustee is appointed ( see also press or press policy during the occupation ).

The Cellesche newspaper could then no longer appear until the end of the license obligation or the granting of press freedom in 1949.