Corniche Beirut

The Corniche Beirut (Arabic كورنيش بيروت ) is the palm-fringed about 4.8 kilometers long promenade on the Mediterranean coast in Beirut, Lebanon.


The Corniche Beirut rounded the headland of Beirut. It begins on the east by the Saint George Bay and leads in place of the assassination of Rafiq al -Hariri over. Then it runs parallel passing along the Avenue de Paris at the American University of Beirut and Beirut at the lighthouse. To the west of the city center it runs parallel to the Avenue General de Gaulle to the south. It ends at the Rafic Hariri Avenue in the southwest of the city center.


The Corniche Beirut has its Uhrsprung in the Avenue des Français, which was built at the Saint George Bay during the time of the League of Nations Mandate for Syria and Lebanon as the first promenade of Beirut. In the years 1925-1932 many famous hotels, such as the legendary Hotel St. Georges, the hotel Normandy and the hotel Bassoul were built on the Avenue des Français. During the Lebanese civil war, the coastline east of Saint George Bay was further shifted seaward and part of the Avenue des Français were destroyed. By fighting in the war, many of the palm trees are still drawn by hits. Today's promenade was rebuilt after the war, especially by the company Solidere and Gustafson -Porter again.


The promenade is now the most popular spot for anglers, joggers and walkers in Beirut. Are located on the coastline again today famous tourist attractions, such as the Phoenicia Intercontinental Hotel and the Le Vendome InterContinental Hotel. The Hotel St. Georges has not yet been rebuilt and now stands as a ruin on the eastern side of the Bay Zaitunay between Corniche and the bay. The tallest building, the Platinum Tower on the Zaitunay Bay, the University Tower and the lighthouse Beirut continue to find the most famous landmarks of the city on the Corniche. On the west side of the city are the Pigeon rock, below the Corniche. In summer, the Corniche is also used mainly by young people to jump from the top of prohibited way between the rocks into the sea. Is also the only dive center in Beirut 's Corniche.


In 2001, the 76 concrete benches were replaced with new ones that were decorated with colored ceramic tiles by the Lebanese artist Lena Kelekian. In 2007, the blue heavily corroded metal railings have been replaced along the entire length against gray aluminum railings. Just before the University Tower, the metal railings were obtained in parts.