The City of Delaware is located in the U.S. state of Ohio and is the county seat of Delaware County. The municipality is located near the center of the state of Ohio, about 32 km north of Columbus. The place is a part of the Columbus metropolitan area. The population was 25,246 at the 2000 census. According to the U.S. Census 2007 estimate, Delaware has a population of 32 986.
In Delaware originated from 1807, the first building, 1815 it was officially registered as a church. At this time a court has already been established. During the British - American War of 1812 here was the headquarters of American General William H. Harrison.
The city's location on Olentangy River and its proximity to Columbus favored the growth of the place of beginning. In addition to department stores and catering businesses originated saw and flour mills. By 1840, the city had about two thousand inhabitants. From 1851 joined a railway line Delaware with Columbus and Cleveland. Also, due to the associated, further growth of the town a first light rail system has been set up at the beginning of the 20th century, which also offered connections to Columbus and Marion Delaware also.
The first university in the city, the Ohio Wesleyan University, was founded in 1842 by Methodists, who originally opened the facility only for male students. From In 1877 women were admitted to the university, previously only opened in 1853 could attend Ohio Wesleyan Female College. One of the students of the University was the future U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes, who was born in 1822 in Delaware.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States
- Frank Sherwood Rowland, a chemist and Nobel Prize winner