Template: Infobox university / carrier missing template: Infobox university / professors missing
The Drew University is a private university located in Madison in the U.S. state of New Jersey. 2013 were enrolled almost 2,400 students. With annual tuition fees of 54,000 U.S. dollars ( equivalent to about 39,300 euros ) it is the most expensive college in the state.
1832 acquired William Gibbons, owner of a steamboat operation, an approximately 460,000 -square-foot space in Madison and named it The Forest. 1867 bought by the banker Daniel Drew this country for 140,000 U.S. dollars and donated it to the Methodist Church on the establishment of Methodist Theological College. The previously built by Gibbons Gibbons Mansion was named based on Drews wife Roxanna Mead Mead Hall. During a Centenary Methodist Drew convinced several members of the church to participate in the construction and development of the university. The theologian John McClintock he won as the first president of the university. Since the same year the first students were included, the Theological College was the third oldest Methodist college within the United Methodist Church. As a result, the well-known theologian James Strong was a professor at the university.
Since 1912, graduates can do a doctorate at the university. With the establishment of the " College of Missions" in 1920 for the first time courses and seminars for women were offered. In 1928 the University to a donation from the brothers Arthur and Leonard Baldwin in the amount of 1.5 million dollars to build a liberal arts faculty can. Once established, it was named in honor of the brothers " Brothers College ". Shortly thereafter, the College took its present name " Drew University " to. As of 1942, the Brothers College women took on in the courses, as the number of male students threatened to decimate much of the Second World War. 1955, the Graduate School was established.
1984 prompted the professors Philip Jensen and Richard Detweiler "Computer Initiative" through which every year students received their own computer and necessary software. The Drew University was the first liberal arts university that offered this. In 1990, the former Governor Thomas Kean was the tenth President of the University. After an extensive 5 million euro donation from the Finn MW Caspersen bankers, the previous graduate school was renamed " Caspersen School of Graduate Studies " 1999. In the course of his 15 -year tenure Kean improved the profile of the university. He tripled the funding and established new departments of African Studies, Asian Studies, Russian and Middle Eastern Studies.
Within the College of Liberal Arts, the Drew University offers 30 degree programs, outside of which other 20 To support the students various programs are offered:
- Research Institute for Scientists Emeriti: Under the supervision of retired scientists selected students are employed in research.
- New York Semester on Contemporary Art: students meet weekly to discuss contemporary topics and attend two days a week Art Museums in New York.
- Drew Summer Science Institute: A summer project work in which approximately 15 students with academic mentors together on research projects.
- Semester on Wall Street: 20 students take twice-weekly courses at the New York St. John's University in part, will be guest lectures by employees of banks and financial institutions on Wall Street.
- Semester on The United Nations: 20 students take twice a week in lectures in the New York Church Center and get some guest lectures by employees of the neighboring UN headquarters.
- London Semester: Students explore political and social change in Britain.
In addition, nine degrees are offered:
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Fine Arts in Poetry
- Master of Letters
- Doctor of Letters
- Certificate in Medical Humanities
- Masters of Medical Humanities
- Doctor of Medical Humanities
- Master of Arts
- Doctor of Philosophy
In addition, six theological degrees are offered:
- Master of Arts
- Master of Arts in Ministry
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Sacred Theology
- Doctor of Ministry
- Doctor of Philosophy